Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problems

• Please log in to reply

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I can't connect to the Internet like I used to be able to, very slow. I have a message YBrwRes.dll was not found. I've somehow lost my sound device, because I can't hear anything from my speakers and for some reason I can't burn CD's. I wish I could have my computer working like I just got it!!!! Please Help.
Thanks
Brenda

Advertisements

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Brenda 6072 and welcome to GTG :tazz:

What we'll do is start off with a simple step which should hopefully fix you up:

Start > Run > copy and paste in:
sfc /scannow
Click 'OK'
You will need your XP/2000/ME disk. If you don't have it and instead only have a recovery CD, there is a work around. View the following link for a tutorial:

http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Let me know if that solves the issue or if you have any problems carrying out the step :)

Big Smiles

HS

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Brenda6072! Welcome to G2G!

Looks like you use SBC YAHOO DSL for your Internet Provider, because YBrwRes.dll refers to your yahoo browser for your internet. Put the installation Cd that you received when you first signed up for SBC YAHOO DSL and run reinstall the software again. This should fix your no internet problem.

As for your sound device, please right click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, then click on the HARDWARE tab and then the DEVICE MANAGER button. Post any items that have yellow question/exclamation marks next to anything. Also tell me what is listed underneath SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS when you click the '+' symbol next to it.

Fenor

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have the disc that came with my system, but not sure which one to use. I have "for Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software", "for Reinstalling V.9X/56k Data/Fax Modem software for Microsoft Windows" Which one should I use if any??
Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You have SBC YAHOO DSL for your Internet right?

Fenor

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have the following that have yellow exclamation next to them; MS Kernel DLS Synthesizer, MS Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler, MS Kernel Wave Audio Mixer and Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

If you only have two I would suggest the second one. Browse the CD...see if it has a repair or install function for Yahoo DSL...double click on that file. For it to work you may need to disconnect from the Internet first and do it in Safe MOde (reboot...at sight of the first black screen tap the F8 key repeatedly (F5 on some machines) until the menu appears, use the arrow and enter keys to select 'Start Windows in Safe Mode'). Let it install right on top of the previous installation of Yahoo DSL. Reboot at the prompt, or if not prompted reboot anyway, in normal mode, log into your account and I would recommend the sfc /scannow when there, as advised in my first post. It may have been something wrong with that particular program...again...it could have been caused by a corrupt system file.

Big Smiles

HS

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes I have SBC Yahoo DSL

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is your computer made by a big name company like Dell, Compaq, HP, etc...? If so, please give me the make and model of the computer. Like Dell Dimension 2400.

Fenor

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 Series

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you download, install, run and post the scan results for Everest Home Edition for me? You can download it from the link in my signature.

Fenor

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Fenor,
What is this exactly??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When the scan is run, it will create a report with detailed information about all of the hardware that is installed on your system. Which will help me find the drivers you need for the items with yellow exclamation marks next to them.

Fenor

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

Evereste is a pogram that amongst other things will supply the operating specs of your system...it provides information to help troubleshoot if one's coming at it from a certain angle....it's a trustworthy program :tazz:

Big Smiles

HS

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK all set with the download. Next step please :tazz: