Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP -- Computer never shuts down all the way?

• Please log in to reply

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there!

I just cleared out the Vundo Virus on another board -- so glad you guys are here! I had one last irritating thing with my computer -- and they suggested I start a new topic here. Background -- Vundo made my computer freeze. So I would reboot at least once a day. I'm not sure if the problem below started before I was invaded by malware or after.

Here's how far we got on the other board. I appreciate any and all help.

Me --
I have one last thing that's bothering me with this computer. Let me know if you can fix this -- my computer never shuts down all the way. If I hit "Turn Off" or "Restart" it will go all the way through to the blue screen with "Windows is Shutting Down" and then just sit there. It appears to have shut down everything (computer is quiet, nothing seems to be running) but it never goes past that screen. I end up having to have to manually turn it off with the on/off button every time. (Which makes me nervous.) Is there any way to fix that?

The wonderful slayer of malware--
Hi,

we will have to dig a little bit to find out why its happening.

Click on Start ---> Settings ---> Control panel. Double click on Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management.

Click on System Tools ---> Event Viewer ---> System. There are likely to be a few warnings / errors. Most of them would be repeats of earlier ones. Can you cjheck a few of them and let me know which ones are causing the errors. You will have to check each error / warning individually, make a note of the error and type it back for me.

Also check for any errors under Application also.

Me --
This Error I found under "System" seems to have happened once or twice a day before we fixed the Vundo malware. Could be when I was rebooting after each time it froze . . . here goes . . .

"Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory." (Source: ftdisk, Event ID: 49)

Also, in "Applications", this Warning seems to follow the same pattern . . .

"Windows saved user YOUR-4F1261A8E5\HP_Owner registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account." (Source: userenv, Event ID: 1517)

Thanks,

Meredith

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi merecomputeruser!

If you have your windows XP cd handy, I suggest you do a repair installation of windows using the link in my signature.

If you have any questions/concerns, please feel free to post them here. If not, then good luck with the repair and post back with how things are going afterwards.

Fenor

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Windows XP CD?

I'm afraid I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. I have my Office 2003 CD, but my computer came with XP already loaded?

I must be missing something. A friend is supposed to show me how to back up my system next week -- so I don't have back-up CD's yet if that's what you mean.

??

Meredith