Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i need help badly

• Please log in to reply

brianm0123

brianm0123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok i just bought my laptop for college and i haven't even had it for 2 months and its pretty messed up, but i guess it happens. my computer came with norton antivirus and it seems pretty good. well ok first it takes forever to start up and shut down, about 5 to 10 minutes for each, also i can't connect into programs that require internet, such as ares, or pokerstars, or things of that nature. now, the last couple times ive started my computer its asked me if i wanted to run an application "lockx.exe" Not knowing what it is i said no, wrote it down, google'd it and find its a virus thats 4 out of 5 on the severity scale. I'm frustrated, so in my search i find this site, and i go to the "start here" section and do the preparation of cleaning the temp. internet files and then i get to step one and install the adware SE and it installs and then what pops up is what looks like a help tutorial for the program and also (a problem) this window titled "Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE" . it states its performing webupdate... says current operation: ready , installed definitions file:SE1R47 24.05.2005 & Installed core application 1.06r1 Personal. There is also a news box within this window that is blank. Under all this in the same window are two buttons: a "configure" button which is shaded so it isn't in use, and an unshaded "cancel" button which does nothing when i click it. Also, what makes this annoying is i can't move it, can't drag it, and i can't make it hide behind a different program of my choosing. I'm looking at it as im writing this right now. Why does nothing seem to work on my computer...? help me please!

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Sorry for the delay in response here,
Could you post a HJT log for us and lets see whats running on your system and we can go from there