Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Win 2000 after Win XP?

• Please log in to reply

cj4qts

cj4qts

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Greetings:

I have a Win XP computer but wish to possibly have 2 operating systems on it. I am trying to install Win 2000 while the current OS of Win XP is on and running on the machine. I have heard this is possible with copying both the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files onto a floppy BEFORE the Win 2000 install and then recopying back to the root directory of my boot drive.

Now, when I insert the Win 2000 disc I receive an error:
"This CD-Rom is from an older version of windows that the one you are presently using.
Setup functionality from this disk will be disabled."

How can I get around this error?

Is installing Win 2000 after Win XP is on the machine very safe?

I have an old program I need to use on this machine which does not work well with Win XP so that is my dilema. Thanks for your time!

Andy Gallun

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the desktop icon for the programme, click properties then compatibility, put a tick in run this programme in compatibility mode for, then use the drop down menu to select Windows 2000, click apply

cj4qts

cj4qts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have the program on a CD, so clicking on the program will not work as it is a bootable CD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you attempt to install Windows 2000 in a different partition while the computer is running Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:
This CD-ROM is from an older version of Windows than the one you are presently using. Setup functionality from this disk will be disabled.
RESOLUTION
To work around this issue, start the computer in Windows 2000, and then copy the NTLDR and Ntdetect.com files from the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD-ROM to the root of the system drive.

cj4qts

cj4qts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
That is what I wrote at the beginning of this posting. Anyway, I am unable to start the computer in Win2000 mode as I am unable to get it installed. If I try booting from the CD-ROM drive I still have no success. I still receive that message.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft say to install the OS in the order they were released as in general, products are not forward compatible with future products because the design updates of future versions are unknown.

If you want to start multiple operating systems, install each operating system in a different partition in the following order:

1. Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

2. Microsoft Windows NT 4.0

3. Microsoft Windows 2000

4. Microsoft Windows XP

cj4qts

cj4qts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Edited by cj4qts, 20 October 2005 - 03:12 PM.

cj4qts

cj4qts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
If I want to keep WinXP on the system and then install Win2000 on a different partition on the same drive there is no other way to do it? I am trying to do this without having to reformat the entire drive.

Andy

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Dubble post

Edited by Michael Buckley, 20 October 2005 - 05:59 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You could try installing 2000 second and the doing a Repair Install of XP and seeing it that works. If you try to do it the way you what to it is not going to be easy. But I think that what I have just said should work.