Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

What's a good processor?

• Please log in to reply

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Post moved to hardware forum, since its hardware related.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There should be a data sticker on the computer, most likely on the back, that will identify all of the components used to build that computer. Gateway can tell you specifically what upgrades this computer will accomodate. Write all of this down, then go to Gateway's web page and contact their tech support, provide the data from the sticker and ask what processor upgrades can be done.

If you don't want to mess with Gateway, go to http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp and run their upgrade configurator. In my case, I had an old HP PIII 450 Mhz (slot1). I contacted HP with the build sticker data and they told me I could upgrade to a 850 Mhz CPU. I went to Powerleap and found I could get a 1.2 Ghz CPU. I bought it. The old HP runs great.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Haha instead of going through all of this---i think it would be better to just build a new computer to be honest, 1) you get the lastest technology 2) u can upgrade it MUCH easier in the future and 3) there acutally more budget then you would think :tazz:

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*
Okay, I will do a scan(Is that a summary?) next time if this isn't it.

I find this,

309-000235-0121-592003-018004403

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

No, that's not it either. Could you please just run another scan with Everest, but this time post the ENTIRE RESULTS of the scan and post it as an attachment here.

Fenor

I find this,

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Haha instead of going through all of this---i think it would be better to just build a new computer to be honest, 1) you get the lastest technology 2) u can upgrade it MUCH easier in the future and 3) there acutally more budget then you would think :)

Aren't the prices of gaming computers a [bleep]?
:tazz:

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

I find this,

Sorry for the 4th post in a row, but I used to get answers real fast, now... :tazz:
This is the PC also, Gateway Select 1200 PC

I really think that model is it. If not, please tell me how to do the scan(is it summary?) then we can work this out and I might get a new processor.

PS: Is this motherboard any good? :) http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Offtopic: Just one quick question, I know BIOS is important, what does it exactly do? When you get it upgraded, does your computer preform better?

Edited by BillyBobJunior, 20 October 2005 - 09:37 PM.

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Sorry for the 4th post in a row, but I used to get answers real fast, now... :tazz:
This is the PC also, Gateway Select 1200 PC

I really think that model is it. If not, please tell me how to do the scan(is it summary?) then we can work this out and I might get a new processor.

PS: Is this motherboard any good? :) http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Offtopic: Just one quick question, I know BIOS is important, what does it exactly do? When you get it upgraded, does your computer preform better?

Billre1967

Billre1967

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, that is a good motherboard. I don't know about Gateway, but usually computer companies only give you a restore disk of the operating system. And that disk can only be used with that type of computer. So if you upgrade your CPU and motherboard you will also need to get another copy of Windows. Also, you will be able to use your hard drive since the motherboard has connections for ata as well as sata. However, your video card will not work with the motherboard since it only takes PCI-Express cards.

As far as the bios. It stores all the settings for your computer. Things like how many hard drives and what sizes they are, if there's onboard sound or video. And if they are enabled or disabled. Some bios upgrades are put out to take advantage of faster cpu's that weren't out at the time. Others are to fix problems. So it all depends on why the Bios update was put out.

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Yes, that is a good motherboard. I don't know about Gateway, but usually computer companies only give you a restore disk of the operating system. And that disk can only be used with that type of computer. So if you upgrade your CPU and motherboard you will also need to get another copy of Windows. Also, you will be able to use your hard drive since the motherboard has connections for ata as well as sata. However, your video card will not work with the motherboard since it only takes PCI-Express cards.

As far as the bios. It stores all the settings for your computer. Things like how many hard drives and what sizes they are, if there's onboard sound or video. And if they are enabled or disabled. Some bios upgrades are put out to take advantage of faster cpu's that weren't out at the time. Others are to fix problems. So it all depends on why the Bios update was put out.

So if I get the motherboard I won't be able to use my old video card? I already got a Windows XP disk so the OS thing is covered. CPU is included with the motherboard right?(Not so hot about computers) Hard drives are seperate from the motherboard? I always thought they were a permanent part of the motherboard.

And are PCI-Express type video cards usually better or worst video cards?

Advertisements

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Video cards come in AGP and PCI-E usually I won't go into details but if your current motherboard is agp you can't use pci-e and vice versa, processors are separate from motherboards and you must make sure they are compatible and the same thing goes for hard drives. If I were you I'd either research alot and read alot about building computers or if you're not confident about doignit yourself buy a premade one from.. a company listed in a PC magazine or something don't go with compaq or hp or any of those popular ones you find in Bestbuy or compusa. Dell is ok though they're ok for what you're buying anyways.

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*
Well, while looking for a good gaming computer at a good price(Hard to find, no luck. :tazz:) I was using EVEREST and I found the Serial Number on it.

Serial Number 0024034632

It was under the chassis.

So now can anyone help with ungrading to a new processor and all that jazz that was on this topic. :)

Billre1967

Billre1967

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
the hard drives are not part of the motherboard. They plug into the motherboard. The cpu does not always come with the motherboard. some places sell them together. What do you consider a good price for a gaming computer?

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
well, about how much are you willing to spend? and what kinda games do you wanna play?

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

well, about how much are you willing to spend? and what kinda games do you wanna play?

I am willing to spend around 800-1000.

I play RTS's(Mainly the Command and Conquer Series) and FPS's. I would like to have a fast computer so I don't lag. :tazz: