Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE stuck in full screen

• Please log in to reply

campgriner

campgriner

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I used F11 to see my IE window in Full Screen mode and now I cannot get it to go back to regular mode. I've tried locking and unlocking the toolbar and changing the setting under the View tab and still everytime I close out of IE and get back in, it is back in full screen view.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

thanks,

Laney

XP
IE 6

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

Right click the Icon form which you are running IE the press properties. In the Short Cut tab next to the work Run there is a drop down menu, chose Normal Window.

Hope this helps

Edited by Michael Buckley, 17 October 2005 - 09:47 PM.

campgriner

campgriner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately this isn't doing aything. It already was set to Normal. I tried changing it to maximize, and it was still full screen. Then I tried changing it back to Normal and it remained in Full Screen.

Ahhh.... !!!

thanks again!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it stay like it after you reboot

campgriner

campgriner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes. This has been going on for several days now and there have been several reboots in that time. It's happening to just one user on that computer. I have even run clean up a few times, trying everything I could think of! But nothing has worked.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Create a New User Profile in Windows XP Professional

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.

2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3. Click User Accounts.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.

5. In the left pane, click the Users folder.

6. On the Action menu, click New User.

7. Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.

Create a New User Profile in Windows XP Home Edition

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.

2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3. Click User Accounts.

4. Under Pick a task, click Create a new account.

5. Type a name for the user information, and then click Next.

6. Click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Copy Files to the New User Profile

1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.

2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the View tab, click Show hidden files and
folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.

3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.

4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files: • Ntuser.dat

• Ntuser.dat.log

• Ntuser.ini

5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.

6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.

7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.

8. Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Note You must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile.

This might be the quickest way

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello campgriner...

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click the +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Internet Explorer, and click on Main. In the right pane, double click on "Fullscreen" and in the "Value Data" box, change the value to "no" and exit.

Reboot and see if your window is resized.

wannabe1

campgriner

campgriner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
wannabe1 -

Thanks so much! That worked perfectly. Do you happen to know why my IE changed to appear in fullscreen permanently? I just pressed F11 one day and don't understand why it wouldn't change back after that until taking the steps you gave me.

Keith - thanks for offering your help, too.

All of your staff are amazing. Anyone who gets help from you all should donate. It's awesome to get this help so easily.

thanks again -
Laney

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are more than welcome, campgriner...Glad to help! :tazz:

I don't know why this happened...it's Windows :)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 October 2005 - 05:59 PM.

ivydale

ivydale

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have found the solution to my problem,In the above answers,
but perhaps there is a simpler answer.for me. My problem started when I clicked on fullscreen in the dropdown google tools. My screen went full allright, but how to get back,?Nothing worked, ctrl + esc gave me the start back, and I logged off Why did this happen, Arent you suppose to be able to use those tool without getting in to trouble? Regards Albert

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Ivydale
You have posted on a thread that is OVER six years old.
I only found your post by accident so to speak.

If you need help, please create a NEW topic.
That said the forum you have posted in here is XP and from another topic you have, created
http://www.geekstogo...actory-restore/
I think you are on Vista.