Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Formatting C drive

• Please log in to reply

marsh

marsh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a HP running Windows XP. I am trying to format C drive. I have a start up disk that I have tried using.When I boot with this disk, it will not let me change to C: therefore I cannot format. I do not know what to do. I need to dump everything and start over. Please Help!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have an XP CD or a recovery CD / Partition

marsh

marsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I do have a XP PRO disk, but not a recovery disk. XP pro is different then the XP I am running, and it will not run.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you change the boot priority to CD ROM Drive then hard drive and load the XP Pro CD then boot the PC, look for press any key to load from CD and formatting is part of set up, when it asks where to install to, press D to delete the existing partition then type L to confirm, let it format to NTFS in the default mode, not quick

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi

You need to enter the BIOS when you start up your computer by pressing the Del key. You then set the first boot device to you CD drive. Put in your CD and save the setting and exit the BIOS. Now the computer will start form the CD and you can format and reinstall XP.

marsh

marsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I cannot get into the Bios with Del Key.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Try F2 then or one of the other Fuction keys

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Make sure you are tapping it, right from the off until it enters set up, if it still does not work, try tapping F1 or F2

marsh

marsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
THANK YOU..I just got it going...it is formatting rightnow!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Good, if you need any more help just post here.