Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prevent swapping for individual programs?

• Please log in to reply

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hey fellow geekmeisters,

Is it possible to make windows NOT swap for certain programs? For example, if I run a nice 3D game, alt-tab back to windows and then forget about my game for 3 hours, I want to be able to go back to it without windows swapping it back into memory (and consequently causing all kinds of annoying pauses)

I discovered today that Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion was using a whopping 600 MB of RAM! Later when I checked again it was using a still shocking 498 MB of RAM. I think this is enough to make almost ANY computer swap *winge*(memory leak?) (I have 1 GB ram and I use a good 300 on windows/background tasks) I realise if I stopped RTWBI from swapping I could intoduce out of memory issues but never the less I am interested if it is possible without disabling the page/swap file completely.

thanks for any advice

Adrian. :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It is not posable to disable pageing for one process, I am sorry. And since you are talking about a Game I don't think you realy what to do that at all!!!

300mb of ram for back ground process it a lot. Maybe you might what to lower it a bit, have a look at Easy Xp Tweaks .