Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having big problems with a Windows XP Clean instal

• Please log in to reply

SeanT

SeanT

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am selling my old laptop. I figured I would make the laptop as new as possible by using a prorgram that "scrubs" the harddrive. In hindsight I would have never done this, but too late now.

I think I am working with a clean slate. Whenever I turn on my pc it keeps repeating:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C)/RTL8130 PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.12 (010425)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Now, I made a boot floppy disk for windows xp home, and have my setup disks, but I cannot get setup to work. What happens is I get to the option to use the current paritioned space, or to delete it and start fresh. I deleted the old partioned space, and then created it again. I then chose to install windows using NTFS (not the quick setting). I have also tried the fat setting, but it did the same thing.

It then goes through the process of installing, but sends me right back to the screen asking me if I want to install or repair a previous install. It does not do anything. When I exit out I notice that I have a c:/windows section now that is slightly full of files.

What also should be mentioned is that I am getting this far using the windows setup cd that came with my new machine. The system recovery disk for the Sony laptop does not even get as far as I have. It stops aftering saying
no fixed disks present[/B] "error x01"

Any help would be life-saving heh.

-Sean

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi SeanT

It does sound like the wipe software has killed your hd, what you could try to do is download a Windows 98 Boot disk from www.bootdisk.com, boot the laptop from that, fdisk to see if the hd is showing, and if it does, create and activate a partition, format the partiton with Fat32, can change it when installing XP to NTFS. The wipe software might of destroyed the partition table for the HD. :tazz: Hope this helps.

SeanT

SeanT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
what's odd is at first the floppy drive worked. Now the cd drive is the one that works.

SeanT

SeanT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I fixed it! I was dumb. I thought in the boot section that the exclaimation points meant ENABLED..not disabled..lol...I had them all with exclamation points heh.