Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GEEKS OUTDOOR EXERCISE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

flowergirl

flowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

We keep hearing on the news how today's young people are
spending too much time on the computer.
(It used to be spending too much time watching TV.)

I want to make a little challenge to my young Geek friends.

How about posting here what you did for an OUTSIDE EXERCISE
each day for a few weeks. (Indoor exercise doesn't count on this
thread; I want you OUTSIDE in the fresh air.)

Anything such as walking or running around the block, shooting baskets,
anything at all that is movement and is OUTSIDE.

So if there are NO REPLIES, I will know assume you aren't getting
outdoors for some FUN exercise and fresh air. :woot:

Love from your NAGGING :woot:
Grandma Janie :tazz:

Edited to add this THREAD IS NOT JUST FOR YOUNGIES BUT ALSO MIDDIES AND OLDIES. :)

Edited by flowergirl, 20 October 2005 - 08:19 AM.

Advertisements

flowergirl

flowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I will start.
I worked for 1 hour cutting flowers that were done blooming.
I had an entire truckbed full to take to the field. (I live in the country)

(It is called FALL clean up)

It is FUN to me, because I have a passion for flower gardening.

P.S. I thought of something you guys could do if you have time.
It will soon be raking leaves season and some older people could
sure use your help
...it actually is kinda fun...you could be a kid
again....jumping in the leaves! :tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am afraid I clearly lose your challenge because I am not yong nor have done anything today beyond the two minutes walk to the repair shop where I have turned a screwdriver and run programs though the restroom is downstairs, so I guess I live as an example to others of how one shouldn't be.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i walked down the hall to go outside and smoke a cigarrette (multiple times).....does that count?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I walked to the train station, then walked from waverly up to appleton tower then i walked back from there to the train station(including a brief run to catch a train that just left as i do most days on the off chance and i like a bit of a run to stretch my legs) then walked from my station back to my house. Other than that not to much, used to play hockey most saturdays but i dont have the time ( r money to play for the uni team, they have the national coach but ill be damned paying for coaching you dont really get unless you are in the firsts which i wouldnt be in, rich snobs making them think they can charge what they like and people have the money,*ach bloomin .... i could go on for a while on the foreign uber richolites invading edinburgh uni*

flowergirl

flowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Laughing here.....

Fleamailman, the day isn't over...go take a walk!
I am going to go edit that first Topic to include...OLDIES.

Afterall, I am 59 years old...(I mean young)
I build snowmen in the winter for exercise.
Are we ever too old to have FUN? :woot: (There is lots of kinds of fun.~lol~)

desenette NO NO NO that doesn't count.
And stop that smoking, you little bugger!
It's not good for you...you KNOW that! :)
YOU GO TAKE A WALK ALSO.

This is MY thread so I can be just as bossy as I want. :woot:
Grandma Janie :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....now that you mention it...i think i will go take a walk....to go outside to er...uh...get some "fresh air"...if you will *cough*

flowergirl

flowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
warrorscot....just noticed your reply after I had posted the above.

Sounds like you had a good enough walk but really not what you could call FUN.

I don't understand whatsoever what you said about the game and costing money but
my oh my, can't you and your friends figure out an outdoor FREE game?....Volleyball,
kick ball, basketball game outside somewhere, even jogging, you are creative, surely
you can think of something that would be fun for you and your friends to do.
(Chasing after girls?) :)

Sorry for nagging.
(NOT REALLY) :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Bit o footi on ocasion, not as fun if your not in a proper team and i prefer hockey to footie anyway and you really need a ref for hockey games(150 quid for the year at the hockey).

Was thinking about taking up rugger one of these days( asked all the time mostly cause im big and can hurt people). Not a jogger really does your knees in, like a good run but not a big jogger im afraid a nice walk can be good especially when you live in as nice a place as scotland, if im so inclined i can go hill walking any weekend i like which i might start doing again as i just got a new pair of boots(took ages to get a pair i have HUGE feet).

Canni be doin wi the golf though that alot of people my age play, its alot more popular nowadays i dont see why its the most boring sport if it can be called a sport, the only time you run is the last wee bit to the pub in the rain.

I used to shoot outdoors if that counts not much physical excercise, well if you were down at the butts you had to haul the targets up and down that can be tiresome if you have a fast shooter at the other end(not many of them at over 350yards though).

You shouldnt smoke itll kill ya you know, and according to the packs here it says ib big letters, IT WILL KILL YOU, MAKE YOU BLIND, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY it will shrink poor old john thomas.

Edited by warriorscot, 18 October 2005 - 02:24 PM.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
I walked around in the rain for a while... thought about singing out loud, but I was at school... that could've been bad. I do a lot of walking with my school schedule though. Almost always opposite corners of campus.

masterj3000

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I walk down the flight of stairs and across the parking lot to my car, drive to work, sit in my cubicle for 4 hours, getting up and sitting down the whole time to wander here and there, asking and answering coworkers questions.
Then I go to lunch, walk out to my car across the parking lot, get back from lunch, walk across the lot to the building and continue the first part for another 4 hours, then go home, and up the stairs.

And on my weekends, I do laundry, which entails MANY trips up and down the stairs. And sometimes when my wife and I can talk each other into it, we go out to one of the parks and walk around the path, sometimes we go off the path and hike a little. this was mostly before she got really pregnant.

Now, we wait for the baby to come, so we can take her for walks in the park and around the grocery store etc...

No, I don't really exercise, yes it shows, especially since I stopped smoking almost 8 months ago... Try to get into better shape one way, and get out of shape in another... I used to have a regular workout routine, when I was throwing freight at Wally-world at nights... Now, I'm back to being a tech support geek, and spend most of my time in front of this computer in my little 4x4 cube... (actually looks more like 4x6)

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Sorry, but I didn't have any time either. I have a ton of homework, including two papers, and then I work weekends. Normally, I play football or something with my brothers. And last weekend I had a friend over and we did a lot of stuff outside. However, I'm planning to go to my uncle's farm this weekend before work, and I'll do a ton of walking with my cousins and brothers. :tazz:

flowergirl

flowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
warriiorscot...now that you have those new walking boots you have no excuse not to
walk in those lovely Scotish hillsides.

And that last reason there for dsenette to stop smoking should be all the reason he needs! :tazz:

masterj3000...that is good you walk a lot between classes and would be better yet if you could
find a little something you like to do OUTSIDE after classes for exercise...something FUN.

NullWolf...I had 4 babies (a thousand years ago :) )and always worked outside in my flower gardens...It would be GOOD for your wife to take walks with you every night...it would even help with delivery; make her stronger and healthier....

My husband also works at at a computer in a cubicle all day long like you do.
So I put him to work when he got home...after a nice supper we went outside & worked
for 2 hours cutting more flowers and mowing....
That is my way of keeping him HEALTHY....hahahaha...(I needed some help actually.)

NOTE TO EVERYONE.
There is ALWAYS time for a half hour walk....we make time for what is important.

Getting outside and enjoying beautiful nature is VERY VERY important.

Edited by flowergirl, 18 October 2005 - 06:27 PM.

flowergirl

flowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Pi Rules.
I just noticed your reply after I had written the above message.

That is good you play football with your brothers and you
will have fun on the farm this week end.

I don't think you guys realize how GOOD YOU WOULD FEEL...
Like an over all feeling of healthiness if you would do even
something like this below.....

EVERYDAY.....

Run around the block until you are so tired you can hardly go on...how ever long
that takes....and each day try to go a little bit further.....

I promise it would give you a real sense of accomplishment.

(But I'm not paying you any money if you don't feel that way.) :tazz:

Cloutz

Cloutz

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Well, today i had soccer practice :) so I guess that counts... :tazz: