Format/erase hard drive
Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:07 PM
Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:23 PM
Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:32 PM
Actually new drives are quite cheap these days, you can pick up an 80 gig drive for forty or fifty dollars and use it to backup your system, or as the main drive and keep the old drive for backup. This would be a lot simpler than trying to run an OS on an external drive.
I think I missed something there, you don't want to format the external drive, just to use the solfware on it. Just temporarily hook the ME drive as a slave in your current system and do the imaging.
Edited by Tyger, 18 October 2005 - 04:36 PM.
Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:08 PM
(go to next post).
To copy all of your files on your computer do this type in c: and it will look like this C:\> and then type copy D: or whatever your external drive letter so replace D: with your external drive letter so it will look like this C:\>copy D: but d being replaced with your external drive letter. then I think it will copy the stuff to your hard drive. but make sure your external drive is large enough and or that your other hard drive is big enough. Im not 100% sure that this will work either because if it does work then it might not know what any of your drives are but i dont know that. here are the steps in order down below
1. Take anything off your external that is on it.
2. Right click on hard drive and select copy and then paste it on your external.
6. If C:\> isint the selected drive type in c:.
7. Type in copy D: and replace D for your external drive letter.
8. Restart your computer and find out if it worked.
Edited by shotgun, 18 October 2005 - 05:34 PM.
Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:14 PM
1. Take out old hard drive and put in new.
2. Start computer with startup floppy.
3. Type fdisk after done loading.
4. Select 1 and Y for each question.
5. Shutdown computer not restart.
6. Turn on computer with startup floppy in.
7. Type format c: and press Y and then enter.
8. After done formatting press spacebar when asks for volume label.
9. Continue off step 6. on other post.
Edited by shotgun, 18 October 2005 - 05:21 PM.
Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:44 PM
My second PC has Millenium as it's OS. I'd like erase the HD in it and hook the external drive to it and restore it with XP. In the end both PCs would look identical. I don't plan to use the external drive as anything but a backup.
I wasn't sure how to erase the HD, and I didn't know if I would encounter other problems.
Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:50 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users