Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Color Problems

• Please log in to reply

StarShip

StarShip

• Pip
  • 8 posts
For years we’ve scanned our nieces’ school pictures. We’ve then blown the 5x7’s to 8x10’s, with good results. We’ve also put them both in the scanner, at the same time, and created a file to be used as desktop wallpaper on their father’s computer.

This year everything is different. We have a new monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 912n, a new operating system, Windows XP-home, a new scanner/printer/fax, Canon MP780 and an additional printer, Canon PIXMEiP6000D.

The pictures we get are terrific. The problem is the colors are way off, as compared to the originals.

Any way to fix that?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there
When you say the colours are way off, do you mean the colours when viewing the photos on screen or after you've printed them out?
Are these photos that have been scanned in from the scanner or downloaded from a digital camera etc?

StarShip

StarShip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the response.

The pictures were scanned from prints.

The color on the monitor and the results of printing them ae the same. Great colors but they don't match the originals.

Example: The background of the girls' pictures is gray. My monitor and the prints say it's purple.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It sounds like it's the scanner that's at fault, you may be able to fix this by adjusting it's colour profiles.

I don't have that model myself, but under the properties for the scanner there should be a colour correction option. From your description you will likely have to increase the green value (if RGB, yellow if CMYK).

It will be trial and error, but as this adjustment is purely software, you can always reset to default.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you try this for me please - Using the MP780 as a standalone copier (which I believe is possible with this model), can you copy a photo i.e scan in a photo & send it straight to the printer without going through the computer.
Are the colours still way off when you print using this method?

StarShip

StarShip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Can you try this for me please - Using the MP780 as a standalone copier (which I believe is possible with this model), can you copy a photo i.e scan in a photo & send it straight to the printer without going through the computer.
Are the colours still way off when you print using this method?

I'm working on that.

I can make a copy of pictures. However, I'm hesitant to send the 5x7's through the copier. I'm afraid of a jam or other damage to the picture.

If you meant to scan the picture and send it to the printer, via the pc, without involving any software programs, I can and have, with the same results.

Thanks for your efforts.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You don't have to use the document feeder to scan/copy documents. According to the manual, you should be able to lift the document cover & place the photo straight onto the glass, then select the copy function.
Basically, I'm asking you to do a copy without the computer being switched on. This way we should be able to determine whether the cause of the problem is related directly to the MP780 itself or not.

StarShip

StarShip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You don't have to use the document feeder to scan/copy documents. According to the manual, you should be able to lift the document cover & place the photo straight onto the glass, then select the copy function.
Basically, I'm asking you to do a copy without the computer being switched on. This way we should be able to determine whether the cause of the problem is related directly to the MP780 itself or not.

Dah !! Sorry about that.

The result of scanning a picture, right from the glass is awful, quality-wise. I've used the fine setting.

The colors are the same, so I guess I have an issue with Canon.

I'm blowing a lot of paper and ink and don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Thanks for trying to help me. I appreciate it.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In that case, the only other suggestion I can make is to try contacting Canons technical support & see if this is a known issue or if they have any other suggestions. It's possible there may be a firmware update that resolves this issue (unlikely but you never know!)