Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hlp please cannot get my cd/dvd rom t work

• Please log in to reply

tracybet

tracybet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My cd/dvd+r+rw will not play any cd or dvd disc can ayone plz hlp and tell me if i need a driver my puter is a hp pavilion t550.uk :tazz:

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Tracybet

We might need more info, :tazz: such as, is this a new drive freshly installed, did it all of a sudden stop working but worked yesterday......does the tray still open and close under its own power.......

What you can try for now, is get a CD-ROM cleaning kit, looks like a regular cd but has small brushes on the bottom, sometimes the laser eye is dirty. Try your CD and DVD on another cp to see that it is not your disk.

Hold down the Windows key and press Pause Break button on your keyboard, select the Hardware tab on the window that pops up, select the device manager button, is there an icon of your drive with an yellow exclamation point on it, is there a red x. Hope some of this helps, we will still need to know more to help you. ;)

tracybet

tracybet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes it worked yesterday the tray opens and shuts wen i put a disc in the light comes on and it makes a clickin noise its under the letter i but wen i try explore it says no disc even though there is a disc in.

tracybet

tracybet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
sorry the puter is only eight month old 8 month old and no there is nothin in the device manager showin as not workin the letter i is not there though i don't know if this means anythin :tazz:

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Tracybet

The letter for your CD-ROM will not show up in the Device Manager, it just shows us that maybe a driver is not installed, an IDE cable might be bad....

I would try to get the CD drive cleaning kit, run that to see if it makes any difference. Another thing to check is on the My Computer icon on the desktop, right click and select Manage, on the window that pops up, select Disk Management under Storage, when the window refreshes itself, see if your CD-ROM is listed as healthy.

tracybet

tracybet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hiya yes i av done all that and it is still not workin i think the cd/dvd rom as jus died like someone as allteady tld me but after 8 month that is bad.
Thanx for u elp.