Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager (new problem) :(

• Please log in to reply

help meee

help meee

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well when i click ctrl+alt+delete nothing at all happens also when i click the TASKMAN.exe or what it is file, nothing happens... i have enabled it with the cad.vb file that i found in some of the topics i searched in...
i also have trayed the taskmanager.reg file or what it is, that i also found on another topic i searched... nothing at all happens even, when i have tryed all this.. my windows xp home edition is very new installed :) whats wrong :tazz:

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Does Ctrl+Shift+Esc work?

Try the System File Checker...go to the Start Menu and click Run..., then type sfc /scannow (note the space). You will need your XP CD to run this. Then, restart and try again.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Have you got the option to try another keyboard? - could be a faulty key.

If you got to Start - Run - type in taskmgr - do you get there with that?

help meee

help meee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Have you got the option to try another keyboard? - could be a faulty key.

If you got to Start - Run - type in taskmgr - do you get there with that?

no it only says something like this file is used by another program at the moment..

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Take a look here http://www.techspot....rk-HJT-log.html

This seems to be exactly the same problem.

See what others think before you use Hijack This ( you can do serious damage) - you may need to refer this to the malware forum.

Suggest you wait for a second opinion.

help meee

help meee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
its working again i did the scan with my xp cd :tazz: thanks all! :)

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Thanks for the update!
Others with the same problem will appreciate it! :tazz:

That means that it was most likely a system file that became corrupted, and the scan fixed the file.

help meee

help meee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
yes after i runned the scan and restartet it worked but now i have shut down my pc and started it up again and now its not working again :tazz:

help meee

help meee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
this is [bleep]ing lame! sry to say it, but its now working again it wasn't the scannow thing that worked it just worked temporarily, of course because it fixed all the problems, but i found out what it was because i had the same thing 2 times before...
its the winupdate.exe the windows updater that sort of tries to update EVEN though i got it disabled, you know you can do that in your control panel and then system... but i run ed regedit, and searched for winupdate and i deleted the one i found and i restarted and now my task manager works perfect :tazz:
what the [bleep] is Microsoft doing? :)

some other way to terminate this totally??? so it doesn't happen again...

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Hi help meee, welcome to GTG. That winupdate.exe program you mentioned is not the actual Windows Update program, but rather malware.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

-Ryan