Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer running slow.

• Please log in to reply

Myrkr

Myrkr

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer is running slower then it should given the specs I have. It's been lagging to certain things and when I try to access certain files in My Computer it will lag when I try to highlight things. I've done a complete malware scan with several programs recently to get rid of a virus and I know I've gotten rid of it but it's still somewhat slow. I know I did have something that got picked up as a trojan recently but I deleted the source of it and haven't had anything recently, I'm pretty sure it was just a program that came from a warcraft 3 map to enable you to do things in it. (Not a cheating bot, it was something through a D&Dish game for enabling soundfx or something.) I was told my PCI card is sapping my RAM by 10 or so mb so I'm not sure if that's making a difference.

My specs are:
2.4ghz intel pentium 4
512mb PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory
120gb 5400RPM Ultra DMA hard drive (65.3% unused)

I don't really have many programs running at a time when it lags. Usually I'll have Norton, Microsoft anti-virus, AOL, and 1-10 pages of Firefox running at most. I also clean out my temp files every week or two.

Thanks for any help. =D

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Myrkr! Welcome to G2G!

Could you please go to STARt-->RUN and type in msconfig and then please take a screenshot and post it containing the items with checkmarks int he boxes. If you need to, scroll down and make another screenshot if the items can't all be listed in a single screenshot. Please post back the details. Also if you could, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on the performance tab and post a screenshot of that as well.

Fenor

Myrkr

Myrkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Do you want a screenshot of General, System.ini, Win.ini, Boot.ini, Services, or startup? I don't want post the wrongs pics or too many.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm sorry, forgot to add that part. :tazz: Please take the screenshots of the STARTUP tab.

Fenor

Myrkr

Myrkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Performance:
http://i22.photobuck...Performance.jpg
Startup1:
http://i22.photobuck...kr/startup1.jpg
Startup2:
http://i22.photobuck...kr/startup2.jpg

Another thing, I'm not sure if it's related or not but firefox will become completly unresponsive at times and I have to cancel it from the process menu before I can get it up again.

Sorry about that I was saving them as bmp and photobucket was resizing them

Edited by Myrkr, 18 October 2005 - 07:34 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Those pictures are a tad too small to read. :tazz: Try adding them as attachments to a post in here instead. Also, make sure they are readable in Paint before you save them as JPEG files, that way you know they'll be readable in here.

Fenor

Myrkr

Myrkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Um, not sure if you check depend on replies but I edited my previous post so I'm not sure if you know I replied yet. ^^;

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Uncheck everything from startup1.jpg, except the following:
  • NvCpl (Nvidia Graphics Card controller)
  • nwiz (only remove this if you don't have Nvidia Nview Desktop Manager enabled)
  • ccApp (Nortoron Antivirus real-time protection)
  • hkcmd (intel multimedia devices)
Uncheck everything from startup2.jpg, except the following:
  • gcasServ (Microsoft Antispyware Realtime Protection)
  • lxbtbmgr (Lexmark printer)
  • fm3032 (Incorporates faxing with your Lexmark printer)
  • SndMon (Norton Antivirus)
Then click APPLY and OK, and when asked to reboot your computer, click RESTART. Once rebooted, check teh box to not show the selective startup box that appears and then click OK.

Post back how your computer is running now.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 October 2005 - 06:55 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Um, not sure if you check depend on replies but I edited my previous post so I'm not sure if you know I replied yet. ^^;

I only receive email notification of replies to posts, not edits unfortunately. :tazz:

Fenor

Myrkr

Myrkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It seems to be running a bit faster. :tazz: Is there anything else I can do to help speed up my computer more?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can disble some services that don't need to be running all the time. Check out this link and then go through the services that you have running and see what you can disable.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 October 2005 - 06:43 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would also suggest that you read the XP Tweaks using the link in my signature to help 'tune up' your PC some more.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 October 2005 - 06:46 PM.

Myrkr

Myrkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, thanks man. :tazz: :) :woot: