Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winxp locks upduring install

• Please log in to reply

Sam The Butcher

Sam The Butcher

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I had a spyware problem, so i was guided to do a winxp repair install. Problem is, with about 34mins remaining I get a Error message of file not found, then the system just does nothing. Ive gotten past it a few times but the same message keeps coming up. I have my original cd and key. Dont know what to do.
thnx in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What file isn't being found??

Murray

Sam The Butcher

Sam The Butcher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thnx for responding. It doesnt say what file isnt being found...thats just it. Just says "error" file not found

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Couple fixes to look at..

First Fix

Second Fix

Murray

Sam The Butcher

Sam The Butcher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
im srry please bear with me. I think it may be the first one. I hit shift+f10 but then have no clue where togo from there.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I hit shift+f10 but then have no clue where togo from there.

What is showing on your screen when you hit f-10 ??

Murray

Sam The Butcher

Sam The Butcher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
a command prompt:
c:\WINDOWS\system32>

Sam The Butcher

Sam The Butcher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
this is just a shot in the dark but would the fact that i have a Linksys Router and am still connected to the internet and I have Protwall installed cause these problems?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

this is just a shot in the dark but would the fact that i have a Linksys Router and am still connected to the internet and I have Protwall installed cause these problems?

Probably.. If you look at item 3 on that first link I sent you to, it says to remove ALL extra devices...

Murray

Sam The Butcher

Sam The Butcher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK all devices are disconnected. As i was out all day i let the comp run all day. Im now at the point where Im at my original wallpaper with no icons and the error message filenot found popped up again. No file name. The icnons have not reappeared as of yet. But the activity light is still running on the comp. Should I letit run and see what happens or restart? This really baffles me

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

a command prompt:
c:\WINDOWS\system32>

As per Fix 1: Change the prompt to one of the following - C:\Windows or C:Winnt, look for the Pnplog.txt file. This log file is only created during setup if there is an issue that is detected with hardware. The log file should include the hardware that Setup will skip on the next restart

Murray