Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NVIDIA PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

Famous Amos

Famous Amos

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello all, I'm in a sticky situation. Now, before I get into my problem, I want to know something. Is it a requirement or just a recommendation that you update video card drivers? My brother who is younger than I am(I'm 20, he's 17. he thinks he knows more about computers than me :tazz: ) said that I was nuts for not updating my drivers. My computer runs fine, I've never really had any graphics problems whatsoever. Under my brother's suggestion, I went to NVIDIA'a site and, without thinking clearly, downloaded and installed the most recent driver for the "GeForce4 420". My video card is the GeForce4 420 GO, and the names looked similar, so I figured they were the same. Well, I uninstalled the original drivers and tried to install the drivers I had just downloaded. No go(pun intended :) ). Anyway, rebooted the comp, and what do i see, but a large black bar going from top to bottom on the far right side of the screen(it almost looks like someone resized the screen, except I can't resize it back)
Well, I searched NVidia's site again, then discovered from some other forum that NVidia doesn't make drivers for my specific video card. Great. Same forum said that either the manufacturer of the computer or the microsoft website should have it. My comp is a Toshiba Satellite laptop, so I visited both the Toshiba site and the microsoft site. No luck.
Whew. I would call this essay rather than a post. So, does ANYONE know where I can get a driver for it? Or if the driver even exists?!?!
Thank you in advance.

- Famous Amos

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I've taken a quick look a Toshiba's support website, seems pretty good, are you sure it's not there?

If not please list the exact model, note that often the Win2000 driver will also work for XP.

Edited by Kurt_Aust, 19 October 2005 - 03:26 AM.

Famous Amos

Famous Amos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It's a Toshiba Satellite 2415-S205. The exact name of the graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go.
What's funny was that when I searched Toshiba's site, I didn't see ANY drivers for this card, let alone a Windows XP, Windows 2000, or any version of Windows. It's like this graphics card doesn't exist.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The video card driver for your Toshiba Satellite 2415-S205 is HERE.

Fenor

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
And as a side note and to answer your question, you don't always need to update your drivers unless you need a added feature or have a problem, sometimes the latest and greatest don't always work as good.

This is also true of bios don't update unless you need to because there is always a risk.

Rick