Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CPU spikes, slow gaming, dont know how to turn on windows virus protec

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I just fixed the winfixer virus on my computer with your help, but now there seems to be a new problem. I was playing a game that I often play and noticed that it was very sluggish and slow in responding to my mouse. I checked my CPU in the task manager and saw that the CPU spiked from 0% to various levels, including 100% all in a matter of seconds. It erradically spikes, as I don't open anything and it just rises and falls continuously. Also, how to I enable the virus protection on my windows security center? I keep getting a notification that it is turned off, but I don't know how to turn it back on again. The recommendations that it has on the virus protection tab don't help me at all, it just says that without the virus protection enabled, my computer is at risk for viruses, which I definetely do not want. Thanks for any help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

Beyond this it is likely to be a hardware fault

The next part is optional

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Do you have an anti-virus programme, XP does not, it only notifies you if it thinks you have not installed one

Some antivirus programmes will switch the notification off

If you have an antivirus programme, you can click start, control panel, security centre, change the way security centre alerts me to remove the ticks from firewall, automatic updates and anti-virus

You can get an anti-virus programme here

AVG is a popular choice

You can get a firewall and anti spyware programmes from the home page of filehippo

You only need one firewall and one anti-virus programme running

If you get another firewall, switch the XP one off

The XP firewall only blocks incoming data

Those on the file hippo page will block incoming and outgoing data when necessary