Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video card question?

• Please log in to reply

jspiccolo

jspiccolo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i have 2 questions about my video card i currently have a ati redeon x700 pro w/ P4 3.2 1gb ram now i dont know a whole lot about video cards and basicly i got F.E.A.R the other day and it plays and looks like crap, mostly every thing auto detects to high excep for some lighting and shaders and other stuff that my card does not support. but my main problem with the game is that if i set the res over 800x600 it will lag all over the place.

the other games iv been playing look and play prettty good (doom3, farcry, halflife2, battlefeild2,fable) i guess it just a real demanding game. since this game is giving me problems im guessing the other games coming out later in the year are gonna give the same problems.

so my first question is should my x700 pro work for this game, or do i need to upgrade (pretty sure my x700 is a little weak) if so iv got a buget of about $400 to buy a new card i was thinkinf of a ati redeon x850 xt platinum edition is this a good idea??

thank you :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi jspiccolo! Welcome to G2G!

Have you ever updated the drivers for your x700 video card? If you haven't, then I suggest you download them HERE. If you have only used the CD that came with the card to install the drivers for it, then you haven't updated it in awhile.

Fenor

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 October 2005 - 07:52 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I'm thinking Fenor is right update the drivers because that card ain't all that old and game makers don't want to get to far advanced and force everyone to upgrade or they may not be able to sell thier games just because not everyone can keep upgrading all the time.

Rick

jspiccolo

jspiccolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yea i check fileplant frequently so yea i just updated them within the last couple weeks

i just think its cause im running AGP

i just checked the benchmarks on Gamespot for fear and i think AGP is just too weak for the game

my buddy has the same specs pretty much but hes got pcix and it plays and runs great on his machine i guess im just gonna have to buy a new motherboard cpu combo deal with pcix or just buy a new pc all together in order to play the games on maximum and a decent res.

thanks tho for the feedback guys illl have many more questions in the near future