Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOADER ERROR 3

• Please log in to reply

SabreFreak

SabreFreak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 with no new hardware installed and have had no problems of late. However, the other day on boot the machine came up with a "LOADER ERROR 3" message.

I was able to get rid of this problem by booting off of the Win2k setup disk and going into the Recovery Console and then running a FIXBOOT. Everything then runs fine for one or two boot cycles and then the problem reappears.

I have also tried running an exhaustive CHKDSK from the Recovery Console, as well as a FIXMBR. I have also copied over the BOOTLDR from the setup disk in case mine has become corrupt.

Everytime it goes away it just comes back, but FIXBOOT always fixes it (at least temporarilly).

The laptop had its hard drive upgraded about 2 months ago. We used Casper XP to copy the original 40GB drive to an 80GB drive. There were no problems with the new drive for 2 months until about 10 days ago. When the first "Loader Error 3" problem occurred, we checked the drive to find that there was a second partition on it - about 64MB with some system files. This partition was probably a copy of a diagnostic partition on the original 40GB drive, that had been copied along and increased in size proportinately when Casper XP was used on the drive. This partition has since been deleted and the "boot.ini" file has been updated to point to the correct partition. Again the problem is easily fixed by booting from the CD
and into recovery console, then using "fixboot" and rebooting the computer. When you shut down again, the "Loader Error 3" occurs and we need to run "fixboot" again. It's just annoying right now and the computer will have a fresh Windows install performed in 2 weeks, but the problem is occurring for one of
our field engineers and it is annoying. We are concerned about potential data loss like this. Again, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi SabreFreak! Welcome to G2G!

Have you tried running a REPAIR INSTALL of windows 2000 using the disk that you used to get to the recovery console? It is very nice and easy to use. Once you have booted off the cd, click ENTER and then F8 and then R for a Repair install of Windows 2000.

Fenor

javier paolini

javier paolini

• Pip
  • 1 posts
well its a major error, i have faced this error too. i failed to my find the proper solution, i searched in Microsoft too. but alas, nothing found, then one of my friend gave me a link to a website, you are so much lucky that i have found the link in my email which was sent by my friend for me

follow the URL and i am sure that you can fix your problem :)

My link

enjoy

thank you :)