Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disconnected at random times and slow connection s

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
im connected through a router... whenever i leave my comp for awhile, it d/c on its own... however at times when i leave it on throughout the nite, nothing happens... on both occasions, i have diablo 2 running in the background...

another problem is whenever im playing game, i keep getting the lag... i was told its due to wireless connection... im a room apart from the main server... and i was told that wireless connection tends to lag whenever im playing game... however, it is possible to configure it... but i've no idea wad should i do... any help there?

thx in advance =)

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
bump plz

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I suggest trying to connect to the router with an ethernet cable and check to see if you still get disconnected. If you don't then we have narrowed it down to a wireless problem. If you still do then we need to test out other areas.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
hmm, wad do u mean by ethernet cable? connecting through the modem? the modem is in another room so its pretty impossible... and from wad i can undestand, my bro, whos using that computer, never has any problem with auto d/c... so its definately the wireless router's problem...

recently i tried it out, but has yet to confirm... heres wad i noticed... if the connection signal is very good, i cant surf the net at times... have to keep refreshing and hopefully it loads... however if the signal is excellent, i have yet to experience any problem with that.. and right now, after 2 tries of excellent signal, theres no d/c wadsoever...

i suppose excellent signal is the key here... however, not everytime i can get that signal.. any advice and having excellent signals everytime i log on?

thx

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I really don't know how to receive excellent signals everytime. Wireless communication can be interrupted by a number of things, such as microwaves, tv's, radio's, phones, or the neighbor's wireless setup. What I meant by using an ethernet cable is to take your pc to the other room where the wireless router is located and connect directly into it with a cable instead of connecting to it through the airwaves. If you still get disconnected then it's not a wireless problem.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oic... ok ... but since the pc in my other room does not disconnect at all, its pretty obvious the problem lies with the wireless network =/

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well it may just be the wireless adapter in your pc. Maybe try swapping with another one if you have another one.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
hmm, tried that out actually... still the same.. anyway, i've found the solution... i've not been disconnecte for 2 days straight now with excellent signals when i first connect... although on and off, it turns to very good, i've yet to get disconnected... so i gonna need some help on getting the excellent signals...

any tips ?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Like I said before, I'm not sure if there is a way to guarantee an excellent signal all the time. There are many factors that can interfere with a wireless network. Maybe someone else knows some sort of trick to getting excellent signal strentgh. The only way I can guarantee you "excellent" signal is to use a cable instead of airwaves ;) Or move closer to the router.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oic... alrite thx... actually, i been trying for awhile now, and heres wad i noticed...

when ur connected even at very good , live with it... once in a while, hover ur mouse over to the signal sign, and if u do see excellent sign, replug ur network card and u'll get the excellent signal.. works all the time for me... hope that helps anyone out there that needs... =)