Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

About to Go LINUX

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Im downloading the four ISO files for the free distro linux Fedora 4... I have already partitioned off a nice little 100GB section of my hard drive just for Linux... and I am just waiting for the downloads to complete ( 4 files at around 700MB each)... I have read all that I can concerning Linux and I have viewed alot of the screenshots of it.. does anyone have any ... NEED TO KNOW 1ST ... WARNINGS ... OR CAUTIONS ... for someone just starting out with Linux.

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
You may want to change that partition, setup a small Linux Swap Partition (1-2 GB should be fine) I'm not sure specifically with Fedora though...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
cowboy...i agree with null on that..but i believe that the install program for fedora will allow you to do that within the setup..it should actually allow you to set up 3 partitions...(i don't remember what they are but i know one is for the swap and i think one of the others is \)...so i think leaving that giant partition would be fine....the best things to know before installing a dual boot system of linux are: where your xp disk is, where your most recent windows backup is, and where your linux distro cds are....that way if anything goes wrong you can fix it...

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
got the xp cd... burning the linux distro cd's now... got PLENTY of space for more partitions... it's better to have too much, rather than not enough.... <--- is that accurate.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
w00t fedora core :tazz:

its an intuitive setup. theres a certain number of partitions linux specifies by default. I find it easier just to keep those. no point breaking things up into smaller bits than necessary. fedora is really pretty, but its also quite powerful. I find that its probably the most well balanced of all the distros in terms of looks and usability.