Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

powerpoint 2003

• Please log in to reply

carolinejoy

carolinejoy

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I currently have the office 2003 basic edition. It just has word, excel and outlook.

I am trying to get microsoft powerpoint 2003 by itself, do you think it is a better option to get the office xp standard edition instead.

Will I have problems uninstalling the 2003 basic edition? Is it better if I just get the powerpoint?

Advertisements

Boostman

Boostman

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I do not think you will see any difference in either of your paths that you can take. Powerpoint standalone should be the same as the bundled version.

I would say go with whatever is more cost effective if that is a concern of yours.

And if you want a free alternative to Powerpoint, you might look into the OpenOffice Suite, which has a Powerpoint-like program called "Impress".

Hope this helps.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the only deal there is cost...if you go ahead and get office 2k3 standard edition,or the sbe edition. the only new program that will get installed would be the power point...so basically you'd be spending 400 bucks for a 150-200 dollar piece of software....might as well just get the standalone

carolinejoy

carolinejoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thank you very much!

I am enlightened. :tazz:

carolinejoy

carolinejoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I also checked the website from openoffice, their program "impress" can be saved as a powerpoint. That is sooo cool. Then I don't have to buy anything at all.

Thank you geeks to go!!! :tazz: :) hehehe!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the entire open office suite is pretty darned cool in fact....it's basically microsoft office....but free...not quite as many bells and whistles yet...but they are on the way

Boostman

Boostman

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Glad to help. In most cases you can find free, open source programs that vival most of the popluar paid versions. Takes a bit of looking, and usually takes a bit more time on the end users behalf, but in the end you can save a ton of money.