Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't boot with XP installation CD/Vundo virus

• Please log in to reply

ronin_tlw

ronin_tlw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys, this is my first post here, and I hope someone can help.
A few days ago I got infected with Trojan.Vundo, and all efforts to repair or delete the virus were unsuccessful, Norton Antivirus 2005 keeps an open window saying a virus is found, but couldn't be removed.
Tried Norton 2005 safe mode scanning, Symantec Vundo removal tool, Spy sweeper, nothing helped, so I thought that I can manually delete the infected file (c:\windows\web\expweb.dll) by running Windows Recovery Console from the XP bootable disk, but it says NO DISK FOUND. Now, how is that possible when I can log into Windows?
I guess the virus has affected the partition table or the MBR, I don't know what to do :tazz:
Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Edited by ronin_tlw, 19 October 2005 - 09:36 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Malware Team will deal with this

Please go here:

Malware Clean Up Procedure

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

It is necessary to check for malware first as if present it will negate any configuration changes

ronin_tlw

ronin_tlw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thans for the reply, I solved the problem scanning from Symantec Recovery Disk.
Cheers