Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post-Malware-Removal Problem

• Please log in to reply

MonRom

MonRom

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Not too long ago I benefitted from assistance in this forum in removing some malware.

While that process was entirely successful, and my system checked out as "clean", I subsequently found that one "innocent" program (and only one) will no longer work at all.

That program is 1ClickDVDCopy v.4.2, which I used with great success and frequency before the malware cleanup. It's a legally purchased and licensed program.

The symptom: attempting to initiate the program, it flashes on the screen for less than a second, and then nothing. It appears to be attempting to load and then stopped in its tracks.

At the suggestion of 1Click's tech. support, I've tried the following:

- turning off virus-prevention software (I use Trend Micro);
- removing or disabling all other apps that use the DVD drive;
- uninstalling and reinstalling 1ClickDVDCopy;
- trying it in Safe Mode.

All of these suggestions have failed, and the result is identical every time. The program simply will not run.

During the malware cleanup process, I installed (among other software) SpyBot S&D, although I do NOT have it running in the background. It is still physically on my machine, however. I uninstalled it to see if that would help, but it did not.

Is there ANY tool out there that would help me identify what is intercepting this program?

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by MonRom, 19 October 2005 - 09:41 AM.

Advertisements

MonRom

MonRom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've just discovered another facet of the problem I first described. Another application I have that writes to DVDs, Nero Recode 2, will not run either. The front end loads, but as soon as I select a DVD output type, it abends.

So, apparently, something is interfering with DVD output applications, but not all of them. It seems to be affecting only those which manipulate input from another DVD when creating a copy.

Any ideas?