Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Add/Remove and ActiveX RESOLVED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I am not sure when this problem started but here is the scenario.

I have a webserver and it started behaving like it had some weird malware or virus on there. But a few scans quickly proved otherwise. What happens is that any page that has ActiveX never prompts to install ActiveX, even after tweaking the security settings. Another problem I believe may be releated to this is the Add / Remove Programs comes up with this error:
Line: 21
Char: 1
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0
URL: res://appwiz.cpl/default.hta

Continue.... Yes No

Click YES

An unexpected error occurred.

Object doesn't support this property or method
res://appwiz.cpl/default.hta
Line: 21

For this I have tried
regsvr32 appwiz.cpl
and
regsvr32 jscript.dll
with no sucess.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Alopeke

Alopeke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
After doing some research I found the problem is Update KB896688. I uninstalled it by going to
%Windir%\$NTUninstallKB896688-IE6SP1-20051004.130236$\Spuninst
It worked after I uninstalled it. But automatic updates reinstalled it and the problems returned. So I had to reuninstall it then disable automatic updates.

So this topic can be closed.