Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Bunch Of Problems

• Please log in to reply

soleil

soleil

• Pip
  • 6 posts
First off, my video has been going crazy for the past three months (?) I'm getting red fuzzy lines across my screen.

Tried a different monitor, a different video card, and NOTHING. They still come.

I was thinking that I might need to upgrade my BIOS, but I'd have have to pay for it and well, I don't want to. Is there any place I can get it online for free?

Second, what does this mean, It's under "Conflicts/Sharing":

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

IRQ 17 RADEON 9250
IRQ 17 Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xFFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xFFFFF RADEON 9250

And how do I fix it?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HAL-9000
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 04
System Model P5267A-ABA 7935
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1300 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 3.08, 8/31/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name HAL-9000\Stacey
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 339.01 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.76 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by soleil, 19 October 2005 - 10:42 AM.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
1) where are you paying for your bios? just search for your motherbboard online and a new bios should be availble to download

2) your video- what kinda cards have you tried...also what type of red lines and where are they on your screen

soleil

soleil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

1) where are you paying for your bios? just search for your motherbboard online and a new bios should be availble to download

2) your video- what kinda cards have you tried...also what type of red lines and where are they on your screen

I go to Phoenix Technologies website, they send me to esupport.com (I believe?) And you have to pay to get your BIOS update! It's crazy. :tazz:

I only have PCI slots, so I've tried the Radeon 9200, and the Radeon 9250.

The red lines are fuzzy, and they come from the right side of the screen. Did it on both monitors, the old and the brand new one.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I go to Phoenix Technologies website, they send me to esupport.com (I believe?) And you have to pay to get your BIOS update! It's crazy. :tazz:

HP may have a bios update, and HP pretty much uses standard motherboards, look for the part number and google it to find the maker, then go to that website for an update. ou can also probably find the manual for it, in .pdf format.

gomez73

gomez73

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This may sound strange unless you have seen it happen, but with multiple monitors and video cards having the same result, you may be experiencing some interference. I have personally seen this happen with monitors sitting under a flourescent light in the desk, causing visible interfernece in the monitor, such as "lines", "bent" screens, complete static, etc.. I have seen other things cause this, such as ALARM CLOCKS, LARGE DESKTOP SPEAKERS OR SUBWOOFER, CORDLESS GHZ TELEPHONES, TABLE LAMPS, ETC...
I guess the general piece of info to take away from this is if you have "electonical" devices in close proximity to the monitor, or another cord in contact or close to the VGA or HDMI cable could cause interference, move any "offending" electronic devices and see if the problem clears.
It's uncommon for the same problem to span different graphics adapters, AND monitors, which leads me to think it is unrelated to those pieces. Have you changed the cables for the monitor? Data and Power cables, or did you reuse the old cables when changing parts ?
Hope this helps. I assure you that this is a real issue,and I have seen it first hand.Moving the clock, lamp, or unplugging the flourescent, solved display glitches, And check cables.

"I never have more than 2 or 3 screws left over after taking apart a laptop. It is so thoughtful of the engineers to provide "spares", in this day and age."
Good Luck,
Gomez73