Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extracting data more than 4 GB

• Please log in to reply

lothiaz

lothiaz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi I need some help.

I have found out my computer is using Fat32 which cannot extract data larger than 4gb, which NTFS can. I have looked around for info about this and the only option was to convert my hardrive to NTFS. The method of doing this was to open up the Command prompt and type in 'Convert C: /FS:NTFS' (ignoreing the ' '). But I have several queries:

1. When I did that I got a message saying 'The type of the file system is Fat32. Enter current volume label for drive C:'. - Sorry for me sounding silly here, but what is that message and what would I type in? The only hardrive I have is C: which is over 100gb big if that helps.

2. How long does it take to convert and is it a easy, safe process? I really can't backup my system since my Cd-writer is broke at the moment until I have money to buy a new one.

I'm no technical expert so could you please help me on what to do :tazz:

Thank you very much,

Regards

Lothiaz

Edited by lothiaz, 19 October 2005 - 10:38 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, first off....any time you do anything as far as configuration of partitions there is a chance of failure....so it would be best if yo uhad the capability to backup those files that you really really need.

the thing about the current volume label is askin you for the volume name...the drive is named c...but the volume might not..do run >cmd > vol this will give you the volume lable...then you can try the convert again.

lothiaz

lothiaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

the thing about the current volume label is askin you for the volume name...the drive is named c...but the volume might not..do run >cmd > vol this will give you the volume lable...then you can try the convert again.

Sorry to sound rude, but I didn't understand a word of that :tazz:

Could you repeat please.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, first off....any time you do anything as far as configuration of partitions there is a chance of failure....so it would be best if yo uhad the capability to backup those files that you really really need.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...a volume and a drive are different...one is physical one is logical..the volume is the logical representation...

to find out the volume label do like i said.

start > run > cmd > vol

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Just double-click the "My Computer" icon on your Desktop..

The name beside the c: drive icon is your Volume Label.. If it just says c: drive, then there is no volume label so just press enter at the message you were getting..

Murray