Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

• Please log in to reply

S Walters

S Walters

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I keep getting the following error message on my laptop:
16 bit MS DOS subsystem-
C:\PROGA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
CS: 06eb IP:0105 )P:d9 4e 5c 1837
This error message appears when I try to download a virus update from McAfee who provide my internet security. It stops me downloading any virus protection updates.

I hadn't used my laptop on the internet for a while (I went back online this week) and error messages starting to pop up every three or four minutes when I was working in word etc. about a week after I stopped going online. These error messages are almost the same but have
C:\WINDOWS\system32\suchost.exe
as the first line.

I have been in touch with McAfee for the past two hours but they have only told me to uninstall and reinstall and guess what the error messages keep on coming and keep blocking any updating. As a result of uninstalling my virus protection is weaker than it was when I started :tazz:

Can anyone explain and suggest what I should do? Please help. I want to go home tonight knowing this is resolved...make me happy! Please....

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.annoyance...000/t1128662992 <--this may or may not help some