Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System failing Memtest86 test #7

• Please log in to reply

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is the web site for my fan and heatsink.

http://www.spirecool...c.asp?ProdID=86

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok, I will check out the hsf and check in wedensday pm.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your hsf is very good and is runnig at the correct rpm's.

When you get the new psu installed boot into bios and let the computer idle while watching the cpu temp if it still is at 62C we need to see if that is accurate because it could be another problem so using the scale below and after the computer is ideling in bios for 15 minutes see if you can determine if the temp is accurate.

Very carefully touch the base of the HSF,

40C to 45C = comfortably warm
45C to 55C = need to pull away after 5 seconds
55C to 65C = need to pull away after 2 seconds
70C = burnt fingers

If you determine the cpu temp to be above 55C please reveiw this install guide. I see the hsf came with a thermal pad so this eliminates the possibility of using to much paste but is is possible to mount a socket A hsf 180 degrees in the wrong direction. The steped portion of the hs must face the part of the cpu socket that says "socket 462"

If you find out the temps are normal say 40C to 50C then load the fail save defaults and install the OS and we can tweak the bios settings later.

Let me know what you find out

Rick

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I actually paid someone professional to install the hsf for me. And I actually look at how he installed the hsf. I don't think he installed it wrong.

I touch the base of the hsf and I would say it is warm but I can touch it for more than 10 second without having any burning feeling.

I will do the test when I get the new psu which will be arrive on Friday.

Thanks again.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would say then that your cpu temp is actually in the low 40's witch is good and not a problem, as for the reported 62C in bios its probably a calibration issue with the sensor and bios this is a problem with alot of boards and they usually read high. I run bios 19 and have also run 17 on my KV7 and my temps are reported correct but I also ran earlier versions and they were way off reporting high.

Keep us posted

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just install my new psu (xconnect 400W). And I am ready for checking my bios settings. One thing I forgot to tell you guy is I have updated my bios to ver20. I do the update before you guy told me not to. I hope it should be OK. Please let me know what I need to do. Thanks.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok look on the board for the CROM 1 jumper its near the dimms, set this jumper on pins 2&3 this setting is for "strapping from hardware" it will allow the cpu to controll the timing of the S2K bus for better system flexability.

Now clear the cmos with the jumper, you should not need to remove the battery.

Boot the computer to bios and load "optimized defaults"

Now check in "SoftMenu" and make sure the fsb is set to 166mhz if not set it to that

Now goto Advance chipset featurers>DRAM clock/Drive controll and press enter.

The ram clock will most likely be set to "by SPD" highlite it press enter and set a value of 166mhz.

You need to change the ram clock because you are running pc 3200 ram witch when set at "by SPD" the bios would auto set the timing to 200mhz, this sometimes can cause problems because it ain't running at the same speed as the cpu 333/166 mhz.

Now save and exit bios and load the OS you should be good to go

After you load the OS and the computer is stable you could try running the ram clock at 200 and see if the computer remains stable mine does but if you have problems set it back to 166.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Oh yea don't worry about bios 20 the way I hear its very stable with no problems, although I have not upgraded to it yet because I have not had the need

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks Doby. I will give it a try and see if it help. But actually after I install the new psu, my computer haven't suddenly reboot. But when I try to do a fresh installation of Windows xp, I can only get to the point right before it asks you to choose which hard drive to install the window to and I will get a blue screen with error "Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. Do you know if it will cause by CPU and RAM running at different speed?

Thanks.

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
The bluescreen error you're getting is definetly a hardware related error.... And Doby, mind if I join in in helping? :tazz: Not trying to hijack a thread you're helping in though.

cfqta, would it be possible for you to post the context of the bluescreen, not just the line you posted? I can help a bit more from there as far as diagnosing the problem further.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

The bluescreen error you're getting is definetly a hardware related error.... And Doby, mind if I join in in helping? Not trying to hijack a thread you're helping in though.

No problem, in fact I encourage extra help/ideas as long as its productive.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

But when I try to do a fresh installation of Windows xp, I can only get to the point right before it asks you to choose which hard drive to install the window to and I will get a blue screen with error "Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. Do you know if it will cause by CPU and RAM running at different speed?

I doubt it but lower the ram clack to 166 mhz for max stability and follow my other instructions to the letter and post back the results.

In bios under "SoftMenu Setup" what is the DDR voltage? It should be 2.65 if it is not set it to that and run memtest again and post back the results.

If the computer fails test #7 again then set the DDR voltage to 2.7 and run memtest again.

Now that you have the reboots fixed by replacing the psu I am trying to determine why the OS won't load it seams to be ram related but not bad ram. Its a well known issue with some boards failing test 7 I did not know the KV7 to be one of them. The makers of memtest recommend uping the voltage to the ram and this sometimes helps and I am thinking that the bios is not setting the voltage correctly thats why the OS won't load and the #7 test failure.

Rick

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have checked and the DDR voltage is set to 2.65.

I also change to force DDR to run at 166MHz, and run the memtest again. However, it still fails the test#7. Then I try change the voltage to 2.7, but it didn't help.

And then I change the voltage back to 2.65 and try a fresh install of Windows xp. and I got a blue screen. Please click here to see the detail info of the blue screen.

http://photos.yahoo....o@sbcglobal.net

Thanks.

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I forgot to mention I did change teh pin setting to enable teh ""strapping from hardware"" on my motherborad.

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
And I also clear the bios, load the optimized defaults and change the ddr freq to 166. But I have a question on setting ddr to 166. What do I need to set on teh DDR time schedule (forgot about the exact name) ? by default , it sets to "by SPD".

Thanks.