Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System failing Memtest86 test #7

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Leave the ram timing set to SPD but could you tell me what the ram timings are?

Disconnect your front USB ports and if you are using a USB mouse try a ps2 mouse.

Now try and load windows

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Leave the ram timing set to SPD but could you tell me what the ram timings are?

Disconnect your front USB ports and if you are using a USB mouse try a ps2 mouse.

Now try and load windows

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I try disconnect my USB and it is what I get. Please look the pic #449 @ http://[email protected]

pic#448 is my DDr timing settings

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your ram timings are correct so leave them as is, so are all the bios settings on that page in the picture so keep them

Ok this is getting to be a problem thanks for hanging in there, we need to start taking things apart because there is something trying to acces a memory address that should not be so

Use only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1

Remove all pci cards

The only things that should be connected to the computer now are 1 HDD, 1 floppy, 1 CDRom, ps2 mouse, ps2 keyboard, monitor. Please tell me if not.

Check the Front Panel switches and indicater header, make sure all these connections are correct with the correct polarity.

Make sure the 4 pin connector from the psu to the motherboard is connected

Go into bios, softmenu>power supply and check/set
cpu core voltage to 1.65v
agp voltage leave this alone
DDR voltage to 2.7
NB voltage 2.65,,,,This should be at 2.6 but up it

Now go to Intergrated Peripherals>OnChip USB controller and disable this. Remember we did this because it will disable all the USB ports and will later need to be turned on but I want it disabled because of one of the BSOD errors you recieved earlier.

Now goto PC Health status>CPU Fan EQ speed controll and disable it if you are using it.
Take a picture of this page and post it, your pics are a big help.

Don't forget to save when you exit

We coverd a lot here make sure you do all of these and report any you could or did not do.

Try and load windows again.

Rick

Edited by Doby, 02 November 2005 - 08:26 PM.

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
see here for updated pictures of my settings http://[email protected]

Pic#453 was what I got when I took out all the PCI cards, turned off the USB, took out one stick of RAM, changed the voltage of DDR and NB.

I also took some pictures (pic#454 - 465) of all my other settings. I took the pic on teh PC health page before I change the voltage, so it still shows 2.65V for the DDR.

I start to think my motherboard is defective, but what do you guy think? My friend borrow me another kv7 motherboard. If you guys recommend, I will try swapping out the motherboard to see if it fix my problem.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
With the results you have just posted I believe the memory controller on the board to be bad witch I have suspected for awhile but its hard to be sure meaning yes the motherboard is no good and should be returned (RMA) so by all means try the barrowed KV7.

Abit is very good with thier rma proceedures you can do it online here.

Being as the board does post you will have to be very specific on what you have done to troubleshoot, basically explain to them that every part has swaped with known working ones and you still get errors trying to load the OS, list the errors and tell them about memtest failing any ram you put in the thing.

There is a outside chance that it is the hardrive but I don't believe so because the errors you are geting point mostly to memory but I guess you will know for sure when you try the barrowed KV7.

I have been over you bios everything looks good and your temps and voltages look good also.

Rick

Edited by Doby, 07 November 2005 - 05:01 PM.

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I will go swap the board and see if it fix the problem. Hopefully this is the problem since it has already driven me crazy. I will post the result after I swap the board.

Anyway, thanks for all the helps.

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Finally I found out what was actually causing my pc to reboot and crash during installation of windows xp. When I took out my fan, I found out the thermal paste was too much and some of the paste was actually touching the resistera at the top of my CPU. And the paste was also uneven distribute on top of the CPU. That caused a bad contact between the CPU and the FAN. After I cleaned the old paste, reapplyl the paste, all my problems were fixed. Of course, I think the new psu also fixed part of the problems. The 4pin 12V supply also help provided additional power to the CPU.

Anyway, thanks a lot of all the time and affort for helping me fixing my pc.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and trust me your board would never have been right with that old psu, I am gald you got it fixed and are up and running. Thats how a minor mistake can really mess things up.

I am sure you will be very happy with your KV7, mines been running 24/7 for 2 years now with no reinstalls and very stable, Just a cleaning now and then :tazz:

Rick

thoob

thoob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all. Im new to the forums. I was reading about the test 7 problems on memtest and wanted to post my problem since the topic is open already. I just bought new 2x1gb ocz ddr400 and when I run memtest on default settings(200mhz), every test passes np but test 7 repeatedly shows errors. I have been runn ing it for about 22 hours and it has passed 32 times and there are 154 errors all on test 7. I do however have a lifetime warranty and I can RMA it but it will cost me to ship it as Im in Canada and had a buddy order it for me from New egg and he lives in the US. Anyway, basically what Im wondering is if this is my memory or some other problem. My specs are
A8V Deluxe with 3200 venice core@ 2600 w/temp under load at 45-48 w/Coolermaster Hyper48 HS
6800GS AGP@ 415/1.11 unlocked all pipes w/temp @ 58 w/NV Silencer HS
New memory OCZ pc3200 w/copper heatspeaders underclocked to 180mhz cause it crashes when I have FSB o/ced. (weird it doesnt crash when FSB isnt o/ced.)
420W Thermaltake PSU
2 HD. One 40gb Maxtor 7200 and 1 160gb WD 7200
52x Asus CD rom
16x LG DVD Burner
I hope someone can help me here. I am leaning towards thinking it might be the PSU. I only have 18a on the 12v rail. I have a new PSU but haven't put it in yet cause Im waiting on my new case which should be here soon.

Just to let you know, when I am running memtest, nothing is Overclocked. FSB and all memory cfgs are on auto.

EDIT: Just ran memtest with only 1 stick and no matter what stick or what dimm I use, the test passes. As soon as I put both in (dual channel) test 7 fails. Now can I run in the 2 black dimms instead of the 2 blue ones? Will that still give me dual channel or will it slow it down?

Edited by thoob, 12 March 2006 - 02:16 PM.

Advertisements

thoob

thoob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I moved my memory from dual channel to single channel and it passes all tests. I am wondering if this is failing cause of either too much physical size or because my board doesn't support 2x1gb sticks. Really stumped.