Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System Not Found

• Please log in to reply

nagromic

nagromic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A computer in my office was having some major problems since a lightning strike a while back.It was protected by a decent surge protector, but seems to be having soem issues. So we decided to reinsall windows 2000. During installation, we deleted all of the partitions and created one C drive partition. This was doen using the windows 2000 setup program. Windows 2000 then installed as normal and I continued to installl other software such as upgrading IE to IE6. I rebooted after installing IE6 and it came up with the followign errors messages:

1. First of all it paused while detetcting Ultra 66 Bios Version 1.14 Build 0728. It then said it could not be found.

2. Then it says "Operating System not found"

3. We tried to boot up the computer using win 98 floppy boot up disk. It says no formatted hard dirve found. We got to the command prompt using the boot up disk, typed "C:" The prompt changed to C: We then typed "fdisk". It comes back saying "No fixed disks found"

Is there anyway to recover this computer. We are on a very limited budget!!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

Installing IE6 (or any other update) can cause errors. There is a guide on how to do a repair install on XP Here I believe the same workes on Windows 2000.

Hope this helps.