Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys,
I wonder if any of you have come accross this sound from the Hard Drive. It is like a clicking sound and if it is normal, fair enough. But if you think it is on the way out, maybe I can start to think about another one before it goes. Any advice appreciatted.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Luckyjfl! Welcome to G2G!

Depends on the clicking sound, but on older hard drives, the drives themselves making a good deal of noise when the hard drive is in use. But newer drives shouldn't make any truly audible noise. Yes they make some, but not enough where you can hear it if the side panel isn't off and your ear is close to the hard drive itself.

What is the make/model of the hard drive, what is it's capacity and what speed is it? 5400, 7200RPM?

Fenor

mremus

mremus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just happen to be looking into the sa,e probelm today. I have a slave drive which is a Maxtor 200 GB 8Mb cache, model is MAX6Y200P0

I have been putting it under a heavy laod as of late doing a video/multimedia project.
This last week I noticed that when I put a heavy demand on the drive (like playing back a large video file)
I would hear a distinct single click, the system would hangup or slow down for a bit, & the disk drive LED would be lit full up. If I just sat there and left well enough alone after several minutes the system/drive would sort things out and I would be able to continue. Until the nexttime I put a load on the drive and then it would repeat. I defragged the disk (it was at 21% frag) 2 days ago and that seemed to help the problem quite a bit. But after 2 days of video and graphics editing the disk is back up to its old habit. CLICK, slowdown/stop,... release......I get to continue :tazz:) Its like its constipated. Guess the real question
here is, is this the death throes of a drive. Should I dash off to the nearest CompUSA and get a new drive and back things (150 Gb of data) up while all is reasonaby well. Am I living on borrowed time or is this a drive who is being whipped to the point of calling out for mercy? Thanks ahead of time!!

mremus

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Some of the older drives were quite noisy but seeing as this is a newer drive and you here a click with a system slow down suggests to me the drive may be about to fail. this coupled with the fact that you have alot of data that is very important I think I would make that mad dash to get a new drive and back all that important stuff up.

In my experiance once I started to here that distinctive click the drive did not have long to hold on.

Rick

mremus

mremus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Rick! I thought as much, but it was good to hear a confirmation
I am backing the pup up as I right this

mremus

Cash

Cash

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

Some of the older drives were quite noisy but seeing as this is a newer drive and you here a click with a system slow down suggests to me the drive may be about to fail. this coupled with the fact that you have alot of data that is very important I think I would make that mad dash to get a new drive and back all that important stuff up.

In my experiance once I started to here that distinctive click the drive did not have long to hold on.

Rick

150 or higher Gb