Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sound

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hey guys. I just reformatted my computer and everything went as expected (well most of it anyways). So my little sister was just using the computer and she told me that the sound wasn't working. Considering it was my little sister who told this to me, I just thought it would be something dumb like the speakers weren't plugged in of the volume control was all the way down. That was a bad assumption. I started checking it out and apparently "Volume Control" isn't even installed. The weird thing is I could've sworn I heard sounds through the speakers last night. Maybe I'm wrong though. Anyways, "Volume Control" usually would show up on the taskbar and doesn't show up there now. So I looked into "Control Panel" under "Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices" and clicked on "Advanced Volume Controls" (under "See Also"). A message shows up that says "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close." So I followed those instructions but couldn't find anything that wasn't already installed. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi friedpoodle!

Right click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab and then click the DEVICE MANAGER button. Tell me if there are any yellow exclamation/question marks next to anything. If there isn't anything listed in yellow, please post the items listed under SOUND, VIDEO & GAME CONTROLLERS.

One other thing you can check, if nothing is in yellow in the device manager is to go to the CONTROL PANEL, click on SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVICES, then click on the AUDIO tab and tell me what is listed in the pull-down box for DEFAULT DEVICE under the SOUND PLAYBACK heading.

Fenor

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Alright. The only things with the yellow question marks were under "Other Devices" and was the "Ethernet Controller," "Multimedia Audio Controller," and the "PCI Simple Communications Controller." I'm guessing the multimedia audio controller has something to do with it.

Also, when I go into "Default Device" in the control panel, I am not allowed to click on any of the audio boxes and in a shade of gray it says "No Playback Devices," "No Recording Devices," and "No MIDI Playback Devices." It's like soundcard wasn't installed. I have no clue how to deal with that. Please help.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello friedpoodle!

The "Ethernet Controller" is your network card, the "multimedia audio controller" is your sound card and the "PCI simple communications device" sounds like a modem.
You need to install the drivers from the CD's you got with your PC or download them from the manufacturers website.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 28 October 2005 - 06:59 AM.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Alright so I don't have those disks or anything and I don't think I ever had them. Could someone be a little more specific? Like I don't know exactly what I'm looking for so could someone give me the links to the driver download sites if I give out a little more information or something? Thanks.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
What is the make and model of your PC?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Sorry..double post

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 30 October 2005 - 02:01 PM.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Its an IBM NetVista with Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Please help.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
There are about 100 different machine types of NetVista, all of which have different models as well. Which machine type and model is it?

It should be printed on a sticker somewhere on the PC. (See hyperlink for more info).

http://www-1.ibm.com...us&lang=en#find

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hey sorry I havn't posted back that's not the computer I use so it doesn't concern me too much. But my sister has been annoying enough to post the model number. In the front panel there is a sticker that says:

Please help! Thanks.

I edited out the serial number, could you say what it relates to?

Rran Gray

Rran Gray

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Might I say I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with the EXACT SAME SYSTEM of this one person? so this applies to me to!!!

but mine is

I edited out the serial number because it was not required

Edited by Keith, 09 December 2006 - 05:16 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please start your own topic Rran Gray.

Thanks,

Fenor