Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is Running HOT

• Please log in to reply

gatewayuser

gatewayuser

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Gateway laptop that I bought two years ago. I have done some pretty extensive computing on the machine, and at one point burnt out the hard drive. Since then, I have bought an upgraded hard drive and another 512 MB of RAM. So now this is the system that I am running:

2.2GHz Celeron Processor
160 GB Hard Drive 5400RPM
760 MB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition

The problem is, the computer runs hot all the time now. I am afraid I am going to burn up the computer when doing relatively small projects. I can't seem to find in the BIOS where it gives the temperature, so I couldn't tell you exactly how hot it is, but the computer is VERY HOT to touch is some places.

Any advice on what I can do is appreciated.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi gatewayuser!

Download and install and run Motherboard Monitor from the link in my signature and then post the temperature it shows in a post.

Fenor

gatewayuser

gatewayuser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I downloaded the Motherboard Monitor and the Dashboard says that the case is 32degrees F, 0degrees C. I don't believe that my computer is running at a freezing temperature. It also says that the fan is running at 0RPM, but I here it working hard. I am going to restart the computer and try again.