Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restarting without orders?

• Please log in to reply

John_S

John_S

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
My computer just restarts and it stays at the Compaq screen. I cant do anyting but pull out the plug. This happens about 3 hours or so.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi

There are several causes for this.
  • Dust in your tower causing too much heat.
    Open the computer case and clean it out.
  • Not enough page file.
    Get some more by reading This
  • Corrupt files.
    Go
    Start Run and Type sfc /scannow this will give a blue bar what it goes reboot. This needs the XP CD so have it in you computer before you start.
If that dose not help please post back with a bit more information about your problem.

John_S

John_S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I dont have XP disc

John_S

John_S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
[quote]''Start Run and Type sfc /scannow this will give a blue bar what it goes reboot. This needs the XP CD so have it in you computer before you start''[/quote] what does that do for me?[quote]

John_S

John_S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I went into Properties from my computer, then chose advanced,then system and recovery settings and turned off automaticaly restart. i then shut down and recieved an error - Kernal_Stack_Inpage_Error. What IS THIS? I then turned the automaicaly restart back on.

More info: It also seems to occur when I shutdown. Instead of shutting down, it gets all black and two seconds later the word COMPAQ in big red bold appears and nothing else happens.
I can only see compaq and nothing loads.
(letters Compaq has always been like that since i bought the Computer)

Edited by John_S, 20 October 2005 - 09:22 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

I then shut down and recieved an error - Kernal_Stack_Inpage_Error. What IS THIS? I then turned the automaicaly restart back on.

That dose help me! This is can be caused me a boot sector virus. Please read This and then post a HiJack This Log Here not here. Please say in you post that you have been told that you many have a boot sector virus. Once they say you are clean and if you are still haveing this problem come back here and I will help you with the other posabilaties.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 20 October 2005 - 11:03 PM.

John_S

John_S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
So i just post my hijack log
[ http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html ]on here then they'll help me from there?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Yes that is what I asked.

I have done some more research on this, and it is more likely that it is a Hard Drive error, and you will have to get a new hard drive or something like that. But it could also be a Virus, though not the most likely cause.