Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not rebooting in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

geekygirl

geekygirl

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Got a small problem. I am in the process of removing Vundo B from an XP SP2 system. I had just turned off system restore and through msconfig had changed the boot to safe mode. After I changed the setting I did not immediately restart as prompted but did a few other things for a few minutes. When I did shut down and restart the computer hangs on the black safe mode screen. It starts to boot, gives me the Welcome to XP screen then goes back to the black screen. It flashes a box asking me to confirm the mode (at least I think that is what it was asking) but disappears before I can select anything.

Is there anyway to get back to the desktop somehow? I need to get into it to fix it but am at a loss how. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Yes, there is a very good way to get the desktop back, remove the infection. I see you have a thread on the malware forum, post a log there are a say you now have Vundo.

Sorry I can't help more, but this is a malware problem not an XP one. You are in very good hands with Metallica helping you.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 19 October 2005 - 09:57 PM.

geekygirl

geekygirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thank you. Frankly I was at a loss where the post truly belonged.