Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Pentium D 820 build fails to boot

• Please log in to reply

KennyH

KennyH

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:woot: My new build will not boot. I have rebuilt it from scratch 8 times. Its my first Dual Core job. The build is: Gigabyte 8I945G-Pro board, Pentium D 820, 1 gig of 667 Ocz DDR2, WD2000 Sata2 200GB drive,Asus 1608p burner. Codegen PSU 550 watt, LG 19" .All new components.
When I power on I get a single beep, press 'delete' for CMOS to go to BIOS and get a blank screen or a scrambled picture, sometimes a faint BIOS logo appears. I've done this about 100 times now!! :)
My biggest worry is that the fan on the CPU does not start immediatly. I give it a few seconds and turn off for a while. I've been at this for close on 3 weeks now on and off. I'm on my second m/board! Took the first back thinking it was faulty!
Of course everything being the latest bits I cannot check out everything on my other PC as its DDR1 etc.
I have tried other components, drives I know work etc.
As I did not buy all the parts at one place I am in a bit of a pickle. The only store I rang wanted $100 up front for their man just to look at it! Fixing was lots more!!
Has anyone any suggestions? Nice ones please as to how I can work round my problem/s?
I have swopped the Ram into other slots, no joy there.
The only thing I haven't re-installed is the CPU.......
Heres hoping someone out there can help. Gigabyte could'nt.

:woot: EXTRA INFO AS OF OCTOBER 29 :tazz:

I have been lucky. The store I bought the motherboard,Ram and PSU .but not the HHD or CPU, had me take in into them yesterday afternoon and we tested it on the spot firstly. Thankfully the blank or scrambled screen showed up. It was a new fault on them and one guy has 18 years in IT!! They shipped by their courier to their head office workshop and this morning an early call from their other Tech was to say after lots of testing he is sure the 945g chipset is corrupted in some way. The PC works with an VGA card in it. But of course the 945g is an intergrated type. Its not a gaming system. So off the motherboard goes back to Gigabyte and hopefully I will see a BRAND NEW arrive in a few days, pretested before I get it, I hope!

Edited by KennyH, 28 October 2005 - 10:44 PM.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
fun fun fun!

These problems wait untill you cant test them before they rear their ugly head. Disconnect all non essential devices (hard disk, cd roms etc). Strip the computer down so that its only RAM, graphics & CPU (keep all the fans on obviously).

Do this out of the case on a newspaper, or the bit of foam your motherboard rested on. Since it probobly isnt your mobo, my next guess would be Graphics, what graphics adapter are you using?

KennyH

KennyH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your suggestions, will be doing that shortly. The M/b is an 945G which has intergrated graphics.
Can I clear the 'CMOS" and start again in my current situation?
It is my own m/b and I'm building for me.
What are the chances that I've stuffed the CPU?
I get the single 'beep' to say the systems OK, but I have my doubts.
Is it worth pulling the CPU out out this PC (my wife's!) its a Celeron D 2.8 and trying it in the 'new' system?
I will try your first suggestion shortly, so wish me luck!