Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having Dimm Slot / Motherboard problems. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

peartfan71

peartfan71

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everybody! Just your run-of-the-mill Computer Retard here, with a small dilema. I need to know if I have to update my Bios, or if I'm having major motherboard probs. :) Here is all the goods on my hardware (Everest Rules!)Attached File  Report.htm   207.59KB   45 downloads So my system is only running 128MB of RAM right now, and it's Killing Me!! My BIOS say that DIMM SLOT 0 is not installed. I have tried many numerous RAM sticks in the slot, with the same results. I also have tested the same sticks in the slot that works (Slot 1), so I know that the RAM is good. I think I see a small gap between the board and the slot, but people have told me, it's not enough to worry about. And so we've reached the edge of my Pitiful P.C. Brain !

:tazz: Any suggestions on what I can do? Besides Buying a New Board. I'm so Broke, I can't Afford to Pay Attention! Please help! Thanks

Scott "Doesn't Know His [bleep], From A Hole In The Ground" McClendon

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hey, that report you attached has the answer you need. It identified the motherobard and gave a link to the web page, pretty cool. So I went there. I didn't see your board listed so I clicked on download finder at the bottom. I then did a search for your board, CA810. I found two possibles. Take a look
http://downloadfinde...g=eng&x=19&y=12

I would try updating the bios.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
eternal hour glass...apparently submitted twice and I didn't think it got there the first time. Sorry.

Edited by austin_o, 20 October 2005 - 07:37 AM.

peartfan71

peartfan71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Right on bro, I'll try that out. Thanks a lot!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You could try a bios update but I doubt it will work, most likely a bad dimm slot.

If this is the case the options are a new mobo or just get a 512mb stick and pull out your 128mb.

Rick

peartfan71

peartfan71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep, sure does appear to be a bad Dimm Slot :) . Also, after talking with a buddy of mine who works in the computer field, I am DEFINATELY not going to mess with my BIOS, until I know for sure that I can do nothing else for the MOBO(I should say MOFO !), because he told me some horror stories. Thanks a lot for the response, but I guess I'll just have to wait until I can rub two dimes together, and buy some new RAM. :tazz: Thanks again...

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and I think that is a wise choice a bios flash is nothing to mess with unless you really know what you are doing, I don't usually recomend it unless its of critical importance. I have personelly done it many times without incident but there is always a risk

Rick