Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost my admin password

• Please log in to reply

spirit_SLASH

spirit_SLASH

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
howdy there!
fyew i'm postin so many questions in this forum coz i've found it the best so far!!!
so....
i've got a winXP pro SP2
i have an admin account and a guest account...so here's the problem:I've lost my admin account's password!!!:tazz:
is it possible to gain it back or reset in anyway? i think it might be possible 2 gain it back from the guest account...or am I wrong?
Please...any help would be much appreciated :)
10x in advance

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Found this: http://www.loginrecovery.com/

Can't vouch for it - but if all else fails it may be worth a try.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If you lose your password, first thing to do is try hard to remember what you put in. I say this in all seriousness. Did you create the disk for recovery when you set up the admin password? If you did, you are in luck and can pop that in and reset it.

Another method is by trying to restore a backed up System State from when you do remember the password. The problem with doing so is that you'll probably lose all of the recently add users and groups, and all the changed passwords for all of your users since the last backup was made. Is there any other account you can log on that has admin rights?

I cannot vouch for the previous link, but I can tell you that it's a pain to fix if you didn't create the disk. So try really hard to remember it, and if not then here's the Microsoft support article:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=321305

spirit_SLASH

spirit_SLASH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
nops no disk
+ i'm not gonna try the site....never can be sure
+ i think it might be able to get the pass from the guest account (someone once posted such a thing in this forum but didn't tell how... he just said it's possible....)
PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP :'(

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I can't personally vouch for the mentioned site either, but I'm sure it's something similar to "another" type of program that instead of recovering the password, actually resets it. As you noticed, it does cost $$, nothing's free.................lol Plus, they probably want to be sure it's actually YOUR computer that you're working on.

IF you guest acct is turned on, I doubt you'll be able to recover a password from there

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Sorry to say,but for security reasons only known to microsoft,once you cannot activate the admin.acct.with a password you're probably looking at a clean reinstall.

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

nops no disk
+ i'm not gonna try the site....never can be sure
+ i think it might be able to get the pass from the guest account (someone once posted such a thing in this forum but didn't tell how... he just said it's possible....)
PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP :'(

Ok Try this.

Login to the guest account.

Open CMD prompt (Start > Run > cmd)
in there Type

at hh:mm /interactive taskmgr

(suppose your system time is 2pm, i.e. 1400, instead of hh:mm put in like 14:02)
That means at 2 after 2 pm the task manager will popup

Once the taskmanager pops up (the taskmanager that pops up will be from the System account :tazz: as Task scheduler is a system process)

Click on explorer.exe from the list of processes and kill it.

Then hit "New Task" and type explorer.exe

Now you will have System previliges (previlege escalation). Now goto control pannel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Local Users And Groups > Users .. Right click on your admin account and reset password.

Let us know if this works.

not_napster aka ReckleSS

PS: As you see here , you won't be able to recover the password, just reset it. If that serves your purpose then so be it. If you do want your password, then you'll have to send me your admin LM hashes from your SAM and I can get you your pass in 5 min.

Edited by not_napster, 24 October 2005 - 03:04 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would like to offer another method which served me well:

Start the computer in safe mode by tapping F8 repeatedly as soon as the computer starts post test. follow the instructions to enter safe mode. Go to control pannel > user accounts and you will see 3 accounts: administrator, yours (for which you forgot the password) and a guest account. Enter through the administrator account and you will be free to do anything with the other accounts. Cancel the password in your account, choose another one (or none at all) and restart the computer in normal mode.

All this is true if someone didn't put a password in the administrator account which you have to use. In most cases there is no password in this account. fast and easy.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would like to offer another method which served me well:

Start the computer in safe mode by tapping F8 repeatedly as soon as the computer starts post test. follow the instructions to enter safe mode. Go to control pannel > user accounts and you will see 3 accounts: administrator, yours (for which you forgot the password) and a guest account. Enter through the administrator account and you will be free to do anything with the other accounts. Cancel the password in your account, choose another one (or none at all) and restart the computer in normal mode.

All this is true if someone didn't put a password in the administrator account which you have to use. In most cases there is no password in this account. fast and easy.

spirit_SLASH

spirit_SLASH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
10x not_napster for ur reply, unfortunately it didn't work :tazz:

i tried exactly what u said but got "Access Denied"
any other trick u would like to tell me about so I can get access to this command?!?
as for y.a (10x btw)

Just wanted to tell you that the computer isn't mine, it's my sister's and she has put a password to the administrator account too
She wanted curious eyes to stay away from her stuff(as her friends sometimes uses her computer) ... now she's really begging me to get her password !!!

So in my turn i'm begging U to help me!!! :)
10x
Oh and PS: i don't really care abt gettin the password back or reset it... i just want my sis to be able 2 login again as an administrator not a limited account!!!
~~SpiriT_SL@SH~~

Advertisements

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
There are various boot disks you can download that enable you to reset your admin password.

Offline NT Password and Registry Editor Installation
Version: bd040818

Is the prog I use.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how do we know she's begging you and you're not begging us to help us crack her account?

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
heh, you've a point there gerryf :tazz:

not_napster

spirit_SLASH

spirit_SLASH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i'm not really intrested in that stuff
really
If I were I wouldn't be dumb enough 2 tell u that it's her computer not mine.... i could have told u it's mine and I forgot it only
Think about It!!
10x anyway

kalal

kalal

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Found this: http://www.loginrecovery.com/

Can't vouch for it - but if all else fails it may be worth a try.

there are few options in google search so open your google and type your query, this will show you many solutions so try it

Mukesh