Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows start up problem

• Please log in to reply

nfc90210

nfc90210

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am using Windows XP.

Can anyone give me any advice with regards to this computer problem…

Basically windows doesn’t load correctly. The desktop background appears but nothing else. I am able to access windows though by holding ctrl-alt-delete which brings up the task manager, and then selecting “log off user”. I then simply log back on and every thing works fine.

System restore hasn’t helped at all.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to fix this? I don't really want to have to reformat.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when y ou log back in can you do this?
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

nfc90210

nfc90210

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for answering first of all.

I did as you suggested and the following was listed in read "service control manager."

Also, I don't know if this is releted or not, from the 19th the following were in yellow "TCIP" and "USER 32". Both these were noted as happening at diffrent times from one another.

In red from the 19th as well at 17:15, which is around the time that problems began there is an error listed with regards to "DHCP".

nfc90210

nfc90210

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Double post. Sorry.

Edited by nfc90210, 20 October 2005 - 01:10 PM.