Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem running Windows 98 after erasing hard drive

• Please log in to reply

shortcake

shortcake

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have a Dell desktop its about five years old. I am wanting to give the computer away and so I used blancco software to erase my hard drive, so none of my personal information would be on there. So I went through the steps using blancco to erase my hard drive, it had about 11 minutes left of erasing when I got a message saying please cut off computer. So I did. Ever since then, I cannot reinstall windows or do much with it. I can use the Windows 98 startup disk, and Dell resource cd to copy windows files but Windows will not start. I can get to a A prompt. Now when I power on the computer all I get is a black screen with a white cursor blinking at the top left. What do I do know. I don't even know what the problem is at this point.
Help please. :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shortcake...Welcome to G2G!

Let's start over with this machine...

Restart with the Win98 Startup disk in the floppy drive. When presented with the Options Screen, press F5 (on some versions: Shift > F5) for Command Prompt. You will see the A:\ prompt...type fdisk and press "Enter".

On the next screen type Y to enable large disk support...press "Enter".

In the "FDISK Options" screen, use option 3 to delete the partition and press "Enter" (You may be prompted to accept the deletion...accept it.) and press "Enter" then press "Esc" to return to the "FDISK Options" screen. Choose option 1 to "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" and press enter..again, accept the change.

On the "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" screen, choose option 1 to "Create Primary DOS partition" and press "Enter". Type Y to "use the maximum available size and set the partition as Active"...press "Enter"

On the next screen, press "Esc" to get the A:\ prompt and then press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart your machine.

When presented with the Options Screen, press F5 (on some versions: Shift > F5) for Command Prompt. You will see the A:\ prompt...type format C: /s (note the space after C:) and press "Enter"...type Y to accept the change and press "Enter". Formatting will take a while...be patient.

When the format is complete and you are back at the A:\ prompt, insert your Win98 Installation CD and type D:\WIN98\setup (the command line should appear A:\D:\WIN98\setup) and press "Enter". Setup will then check the Hard Drive...this may take a while...be patient. Installation should then begin...just follow the prompts.

Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2005 - 12:41 PM.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi wannabe1 thanks so much for responding. I got to the part in the steps where I pushed 3 to delete the partition and press enter, it then went to another screen asking me to make a choice between 4 options;]
1. delete primary Dos partition
2. delete extended dos partition
3. delete logical dos drive in the extended dos partition
4. delete non-dos partition

which number do i choose?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
shortcake...

1. delete primary Dos partition

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok i selected number 1 delete primary dos partition... pressed esc and chose option 1 to create partion. now the screen says current primary dos partition already exists

the screen has on it create primary dos partition then lists
current fixed drive 1 partion c status a type pri dos volume label nothing listed mbytes 7326 system fat32 usage 100% then at the bottom of the screen press esc to continue. what do i do now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back to delete the partition again and press "Enter" then accept the deletion by typing Y and press "Enter" again.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok sorry for all the back and forth, its asking me to enter the volume label at the delete dos partition screen after i confirmed that i wanted to delete the primary dos partition c drive, what do i enter in the volume label field?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not a problem. The volume label should be listed on one of the screens...perhaps the one you are on. You may have to look closely to spot it or back up a screen or two. If there is no label listed, leave it blank and press "Enter"

wannabe1

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok got it, do i keep my startup disk in my floppy drive when i restart my machine?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...until the Format is complete and the Windows installation begins. Then remove it when Windows is installing.

wannabe1

Advertisements

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok restarted machine at a prompt when i enter format C: /s it says bad command or file name

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try just format C:...seems like every machine is a little different...

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2005 - 01:48 PM.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
still didn't work, I do have instructions on formatting the hard drive using the dell resource cd, should i try that? And if I do to I keep the startup disk in the floppy drive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try it with just the cd in the drive (no floppy) using the instructions you have. Every OEM machine is different, that's why I have a pretty long list of format commands to try... :tazz:

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I was able to format the drive with the resource cd, and it unpacked all the windows files, it then asked me to remove the disk, and it restarted when it did I get the dell logo splash screen, it beeps once, then the floppy drive light comes on, then it goes to a black screen with a white cursor on the top left.