Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

networking using crosswire

• Please log in to reply

rakujha

rakujha

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I have got two systems, both running windows XP. I have lan card in both. I wanted to connect the two computers to share the file and if possible internet connectioin. I used a crosswire and connected the computers, set up the required IP addresses, Subnet Mask, default gateway etc. Now I can see that the networking icon shows up on both the computers. I can even ping the two (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2) from each other. However, I don't see the other computer-each computer show just itself on the network and I am unable to access files etc. on the other.
I am at my wits end. What is happening? What could be wrong? Help, please.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi rakujha! Welcome to G2G!

...set up the required IP addresses, Subnet Mask, default gateway etc....

Did you make sure that both computers are members of the same workgroup? And that both computers have Client for Microsoft Networks installed?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
As for sharing an internet connection, I take you have a broadband connection, because sharing a dialup account would be just plain silly. I suggest you get a router and then you can hook up both computers to that. It will also make it much easier to share files between the two.

Fenor

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

As for sharing an internet connection, I take you have a broadband connection, because sharing a dialup account would be just plain silly.

But not impossible and not unheard of either depending on the poster's configuration.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

But not impossible and not unheard of either depending on the poster's configuration.

But also not very smart, much easier to just get a splitter for the phone jack and run a cable to each computer.

Fenor

rakujha

rakujha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi rakujha! Welcome to G2G!
Did you make sure that both computers are members of the same workgroup? And that both computers have Client for Microsoft Networks installed?

Fenor

Thanks, I am not quite well versed in this. How do we make the computers part of the same workgroup? When I try the workgroup, it shows only the computer on which I am working and nothing else. Also, how do I set up the client for microsoft network?
I know, it is asking too much, but if you can give me step by step it would be possible for me to try to set up the network.

did make both the computers members of the same workgroup

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Right click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES and click on the COMPUTER NAME tab. Check what each workgroup is on that tab. If they are different for each computer, then change one by clicking the CHANGE button on the COMPUTER NAME tab so that it matches that of the other computer. Then reboot the computer when it asks you too and once rebooted you should be able to see the other computer in MY NETWORK PLACES.

Fenor

rakujha

rakujha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tfhanks, I did as you suggested, But unfortunately, still the same thing. I am not keen on seeing internet sharing, but file sharing is the most important concern.
I was able to ping the two computers-giving separate IP addresses but keeping the gateway same on both the computers. Sitill , I see only one computer on the network-the one on which I am working and not the other networked computer.
I am lost.
Help??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try disabling the built-in Windows Firewall, and any other firewall programs you may have running on each computer, like Zone Alarm, Mcafee, Norton, etc, and then see if you can connect to the other computer. Also remember that you need to have a folder shared on each computer for this to work correctly.

Fenor

rakujha

rakujha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. I have disabled the firewall, turned off the norton. Yet, network does not show the other computer. Is there some issue with XP?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm still thinking that your workgroups are not the exact names for each computer. Go back and check that and make sure that they are both in the exact same workgroup with the exact same capitalization (best just make em both part of the workgroup WORKGROUP in all caps).

Fenor

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=72576

Check the tutorial in there by SpaceCowboy706. That should help to sharefiles without using the internet. If you still haven't figured out how to share files on your network, then just setup an ftp server on one of the computers (both should be connected to the internet network). And you can login to the ftp server from your other computer and download/upload files on to the other comp.(Its beating around the bush. But it works good if you can't setup windows file share)

cheers

not_napster

SandyJax

SandyJax

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Simple point, mentioned once already. With WinDoze PCs, they aren't normally set up as "Servers", and you won't see them on a network. They just lurk, like most people here :) If you pick a directory and share it, then it starts admitting that it's there, and has a shared resource to offer the network. Then, Windows Networking will show that PC in that WorkGroup.

ong2lua

ong2lua

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Thanks. I have disabled the firewall, turned off the norton. Yet, network does not show the other computer. Is there some issue with XP?

please try removing Norton Anti-Virus. It worked on my computers.

Edited by ong2lua, 13 November 2005 - 09:01 PM.