Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply

AnnJS

AnnJS

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
For the past week or so I have been having problems with my computer randomly freezing.

Usually it simply just freezes; where moving the mouse or ctrl+alt+del has no effect. But sometimes it also randomly reboots without me asking for it to do so. This all happens very randomly, sometimes after five minutes and sometimes it can run fine for several hours. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing either; I can be typing in Word or browsing the internet or not doing anything at all, the computer freezes no matter what.

I had this happen to me once before, a year or so ago. But that turned out to be because of a conflict between two installed versions of Windows. See, I had recently got a new computer and foolishly just moved over my old harddrive (that has Windows 98 installed on it) as a slave. I ended up having to reformat both harddrives and starting over from scratch, but the freezing problem was solved.

But now it's apparently returned and I have no idea what could be causing it this time. I know it's not the same problem as last, since I only have one installation of Windows (XP) now. And I haven't installed any new drivers or programs, or made any other major changes right before this started either.

I have tried system restore, reformatting my smaller harddrive, dusting out my computer and replacing the fan on my motherboard. But all with no results.

I've been trying to use the event log, but it hasn't been all that helpful. However, roughly 80% of the time the computer freezes it keeps reporting the same two things:

"The service Nsvpismal could not be started because of the following error: The file could not be found."

"The service Splsipnia could not be started because of the following error: The search-path could not be found."

Problem with that is that searching for "Nsvpismal" or "Splsipnia" on various search engines has given no results whatsoever. This sort of makes me think it could be a virus, the kind that has random names so that it'll be harder to identify (and thus remove) them. But since my virus program (AVG Free Edition) doesn't find anything, as well as a couple of other reasons, makes this seem not very likely.

Also, looking in the event log I saw that the computer created a minidump the last time the computer froze. I'm not a debugger in the least so I couldn't make much of it myself, but if it could be helpful to solving the problem, let me know and I'll try to post it.

This is really stressful, to say the least, I keep losing work and I can't really do much on the computer anymore simply out of fear that it'll end up lost anyways. And I'm out of ideas myself, so that's why I came to you guys. You've been really helpful in the past, so I have much faith that you will be able to solve this (or atleast give it a good try :tazz:).

Oh, and one last thing... Sorry if this is in the wrong forum; this could technically be a hardware problem, but since I'm personally leaning towards the fact that it has something to do with Windows XP, it ended up being posted here.

Thank you very much for reading, any and all help will be highly appreciated!

Advertisements

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Perhaps you need to change your battery. When I checked to see if mine was okay because settings were not holding, it checked out ok but due to the age, we changed it ($2.50 at Radio Shack) and that did the trick. It really can be an easy solution sometimes.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AnnJS...Welcome to G2G!

Please download and install HiJackThis, run it and post a log to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2005 - 01:39 PM.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
headwayne - Battery? Do you mean like the battery in a laptop? Because, and maybe I didn't specify this in my original post, but this problem is with a normal PC and not a laptop. And as far as I know, there is no battery in a computer like that. Thanks a bunch still though :tazz: And wow, that's really cheap for a laptop battery! Here in Sweden you'd have to pay a lot more for it, unfortunately.

wannabe1 - Thanks so much for helping out, here is the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 22:12:15, on 2005-10-20
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Edited by AnnJS, 20 October 2005 - 06:51 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AnnJS...

You can edit the log out of your previous post...just leave the log header.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). Reboot. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2005 - 02:30 PM.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I just now finished running both the tests (took forever, so sorry for the delay in replying). However, neither of the two reported any errors.

One odd thing happened though: After I finished the first test and was rebooting the computer for the chkdsk, it couldn't run it for some reason. The screen with the error flashed by so quickly I had no chance of reading it either. And when the computer started up, it popped up one of those little messages saying the computer had been reset after a serious error and asking if you wanted to report it to Windows. I clicked yes, and after the report finished sending it brought me to a page saying the error had been caused by a device driver. Then another one of those boxes popped up, and a different page was brought up saying the error had been caused by faulty RAM. Then yet another (!) box popped up, but before I had a chance to click it the computer froze again. When I rebooted the chkdsk started running with no problem at all. I really have no idea what that all meant; it seemed very random to me (but I still wanted to mention it to you just in case).

Will go edit my previous post now to remove the log.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AnnJS...

It's doing fine. I'm leaning towards a device or driver problem, so that's kind of what I expected. Let's let it finish then I'd like you to download Everest (there's a link in my signature) and post a log for me to look at. This will be a long log and will take me several minutes to review.

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ok, I just downloaded Everest and created a log. But, well, it's really a huuuuuge log: The text file is close to 240kb! I'm a complete newbie to this program, so I wanted to make sure that this was indeed the log you wanted before I post something that long... I chose the "all pages" log, but perhaps you wanted just the "system summary only" or any of the other options?

Just making sure :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AnnJS...

Sorry...I was in another topic....

You can copy it to notepad and attach it to the thread, or post it and I'll copy it and then you can edit it out...I told you it was a long log... :tazz: It'll take me a bit to look it over.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2005 - 08:12 PM.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Oki, I've attached it now :)

And hey, take all the time you need to look through it! Honestly, I'm just so extremely grateful for your assistance that it really makes no difference if I have to wait one hour or one day for a reply; I know you'll help me and that makes it all good :tazz:

Attached Files

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Very good! Just one more thing I'd like to look at...

Click Start then Run and type msconfig...click the Startup tab then in the left pane, click on System. In the right pane, look for any entries marked with a red circle with an X in it that occur a roughly the same time as your system hangs. Please list a few of the recent ones here for me.

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I'm probably being really stupid here, but I can't seem to find anything that says "system" in the startup tab... Nor do I see any red Xs anywhere. I've attached a screenshot of how the contents of my startup tab looks (sorry, I know it's in Swedish, but you'll get the gist of it still), just so you'll see what I mean.

Sorry, I'm sure I'm just being really blind not being able to spot it :tazz:

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry AnnJS... :tazz: ...I gave you the wrong command for what I wanted, but it's ok...I'll make use of that info, too.

Click Start then Run and type eventvwr.msc and then Look for System and the Red Circles.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2005 - 09:08 PM.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ah yes, now I see both the system thing and red Xs :)

Like I mentioned in my original post, almost all of the errors report the following:

"The service Nsvpismal could not be started because of the following error: The file could not be found."

"The service Splsipnia could not be started because of the following error: The search-path could not be found."

They both occur at the exact same time, right when the computer freezes.

Some other errors are:

"Error-code 000000a0, parameter1 00000101, parameter2 00000007, parameter3 f89907bc, parameter4 00000000."

"Error-code 10000050, parameter1 e42a60b5, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 bf8528ec, parameter4 00000001."

Both of those occured almost at the same time (20 seconds in between).

Then we have this one, which occured once, a few seconds before the typical "Nsvpismal" and "Splsipnia":

"Error-code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 80538105, parameter3 f3fe4378, parameter4 00000000."

But aside from those, everything else is just those two buggers (I just went back five days in the log, but I can go even further if you need it).

Oh, and sometimes when the computer freezes, there is no mark of it at all in the event log. Like a couple of minutes ago (during the first time I was replying to you), no red Xs whatsoever during this time :tazz:

Edited by AnnJS, 20 October 2005 - 09:33 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AnnJS...

So far in the Everest log, I have found a couple of outdated drivers...one of which is a video adapter driver. This may be what we are looking for...video drivers can and do cause system hangs and do not always generate an accurate error in the event log.

Go to Windows Update and run the updates until you have SP2 installed. SP2 contains a lot of updated drivers and some security features that are really pretty critical. That download is pretty large at about 90MB so it might take a while depending on your internet connection speed. I'll keep reading the log.

wannabe1