Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
A video driver, aye? That makes sense!

I'm currently in the middle of updating my Windows Updater and downloading some validating tool, so that I can download the Windows updates like you suggested. Unfortunately though, I need to go offline for a while (doctors appointment). I'm just telling you so that you know why it'll be a while until I reply to you next :tazz:

Edited by AnnJS, 20 October 2005 - 10:34 PM.

Advertisements

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I'm back home now, and thought I'd finish with the Windows update. But alas, that didn't turn out so well; I wasn't allowed to download squat since they claimed my version of Windows wasn't authentic. This is total news to me, and I'm a bit miffed because I didn't even get a chance to type in my number thing (they just told me directly it was fake and so on). And it's not like I can go complain in the store where I bought the computer from either, since they closed down a couple of years ago. Argh, I so didn't need this additional problem :tazz:

So yeah, I obviously can't download anything from updates from Windows. Setting the SP2 aside though, maybe I can download an updated video adapter driver from somewhere else? The official sites of the brands tend to have that kind of stuff available, I think...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft have run programmes for replacing pirated software

Sometimes it can incorrectly say the product is invalid, though usually that happens after putting the product key in

Open my documents, click help then is this copy of Windows legal, it then lets you run the validating tool

Logically, Product activation should have highlighted this before now, so we can hope that the software has become damaged in some way, in which case, Microsoft will replace it

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hey Keith, I tried what you suggested but that gave the same result. It's odd too, cause I remember activating my copy of XP right when I first bought it; without any problems at all. So I don't know if this truly is fake or if it has been messed up somehow during time. Frankly though, it's not my top priority right now. I'm focusing on the freezing problem right now, I'll deal with this afterwards.

I found a non-Microsoft site that had a the SP2 for download (without the validation thing), and attempted to install that. But I got the error "setup cannot update your Windows XP files because the language installed on your computer is different from the update language" so that didn't work either.

Like I said before, is there perhaps anywhere I could just download an updated video adapter driver (since that's what wannabe1 thought could be the culprit)? Or perhaps the Everest log has shown something else now, if you've had the time to finish looking through it wannabe1? I'll take any ideas, but it's starting to feel hopeless :tazz: Sorry for being such a bother, guys.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for SP2 and hopefully in English

http://www.softwarep...addownload.html

You need to click here where it says connecting to server (266MB)

This is for the video adapter

http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

Run Everest, click + next to computer then summary, look on right at display / video adapter

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AnnJS...

Try this Driver. I haven't had a chance to finish looking at the log...been one of those "can I please smash the phone?" days.

Give Microsoft a call and explain the issue to them. OR you might also try their e-mail support option...there's a link for that HERE. Hope this helps. The G2G Terms of Service prevent us from providing support for "suspect" software. Let me discuss this with Keith and get back to you...meanwhile, try the driver I suggested.

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Keith - That's exactly the one I downloaded. Sorry, I should have specified that I'm running a Swedish version of Windows XP and not an English one :tazz: Sorry but thanks anyways (and thanks for the driver link)!

wannabe1 - I'll email them as soon as I've finished installing the driver. I completely understand that you can't provide help for people who might be running bootleg stuff, so don't worry about it. Thanks so extremely much in any case :)

*crosses fingers and hopes the driver does the trick*

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Very unlikely to be bootleg if it has activated

Contact Microsoft at your location and tell them the disc has become damaged

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Back to wading through the log.

In the meantime, please download Speed Fan, install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures. Monitor Temp-1 and Temp-2 then post the low temperatures (right after startup) and the temps after it has run for a while. The closer to a hang, the better.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AnnJS...

See if you can download this version of SP2. It's in Swedish...and it's from Microsoft. It's a very large download, though...hope you have a high speed connection! :tazz: Save it to your HDD and then burn it to a cd in case you ever need to install it again.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 21 October 2005 - 06:27 PM.

Advertisements

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Keith - *nods* That's what I thought too. Well in any case, I've emailed them now, so we'll just have to wait and see what they say.

wannabe1 - Installed and running the Speed Fan program right now. However, there is no Temp2 to be found anywhere that I can see; just Temp1 (which is currently running at 20°C). I'll post again once the computer has frozen and report the temperature it had then (I've enabled the log so I assume I'll be able to get it from there). Now I'll go see if I can install the Swedish SP2 you provided the link for!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I edited my previous post regarding SP2...please review the info.... :tazz:

Edited by wannabe1, 21 October 2005 - 06:30 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Well done that man

JAG hoppas den arbeten :tazz:

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
wannabe1 - Yup, I saw! Will do that as soon as it finishes download (atleast it's letting me download it, so I'm feeling hopeful it'll let me actually install it as well!) :)

Keith - Hehehe, vad duktig du är :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
We have to be capable of anything here