Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Absolutely no need to apologize! I just got freaked out cause I was scared I'd end up with a virus before we got it fixed, other than that I had full faith in you and knew it'd be ok :tazz:

Yeah, no SP2 and no custom edit of the registry (that I did yesterday). But like you said I have the SP2 on a CD so that's easily remedied (and editing the registry would be easy to re-do, if you think I should that is).

And yup, I have my firewall running right now. Both my own copy of Sygate as well as the automatic Windows one.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well AnnJS...

We're back where we started...quick review. ACPI registry edit had no effect. Hive rebuild built only the stress level of nice Swedish girl. Video drivers did nothing.

Are we still generating the errors from those mystery files?

Our main issue may be the heat. Have you ever been into the case of your machine?

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

And yup, I have my firewall running right now. Both my own copy of Sygate as well as the automatic Windows one.

You should only run one firewall...and...if the windows firewall is there, then so is SP2.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yuppers, back to square one. Atleast we've ruled out a lot of things now though that aren't causing the problem :)

Those two mystery files are still popping up too. However, checking the event log I see that they came up roughly half an hour ago; but my computer didn't freeze then. Odd :tazz:

If it truly is the heat, I just think it's odd how sometimes it freezes after just a couple of minutes (and I don't think it can get that hot so fast). And yeah, I've been in the case... I dusted it off a bit too, the day before I posted here, when I was switching my motherboard fan (it had been making some noise so I thought maybe that's what was causing it to freeze).

The Windows firewall I was talking about wasn't the one that came with SP2, but the one that shows up when you go to the control panel, network connections, and then right click on the internet connection and under the advanced tab there is an option for a firewall. That's the one I meant I was running, but if you say I should only have one running then I'll gladly disable that one!

In any case, I better try to go catch some Zs. It's almost 6 AM here and I'm helping my grandma with her weekly shopping at noon tomorrow (er, today I mean). I'm sure you could need a break from this persistant problem too! Nighty night :woot:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good night AnnJS...

I'll keep working on the problem....

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Thanks! And seriously, don't feel forced to keep working on this if you don't want to; maybe it's just one of those things that can't be fixed. In either case I really appreciate all the help you've given me, so a heartfelt thank you for that :tazz:

Oki, shutting off the computer now!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AnnJS...

You'll find that I'm not one who gives up. For a little light reading:

http://www.geekstogo...=ST&f=3&t=65315
http://www.geekstogo...=ST&f=5&t=66014
http://www.geekstogo...topic=62149&hl=

What I may lack in finesse, I make up for in persistence... :tazz:

Whether we fix it or not, it won't be for lack of trying.... :)

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Freezing (and other problems) can be caused by many reasons and quite often it is impossible to follow the logic of a problem. Many times it is caused by a corrupted driver or a program or windows, and you have to make up your mind at a certain point how long you are willing to chase a problem. Following this forum I feel that clean reformatting is almost like a dirty word to some prople, but it is not. It's a very practical and efficient tool in repairing a computer after a certain effort has beem spent on pinpointing a problem and trying to fix it without success.

Yours is a typical case, in my opinion. I would certainly reformat and reinstall XP at this stage. Having said that I think, however, that you should first make sure (as much as possible) that yours is not a hardware problem, otherwise you will accomplish nothing by reformatting. I would do the following tests:

1: In the BIOS, in "hardware maintenance" (or whatever it is called in your BIOS) I would check actual voltages of the power supply unit against the required voltages (you see both in the BIOS). Difference should not exceed 10% at the maximum.

2: Run memtest86 or another benchmark program to test your RAM.

3: Disconnect any unnecessary piece of hardware (printer, cd roms, usb devices, ethernet card etc.) and run the computer for a while to see if it is freezing.

4: Check in advanced display settings (in control pannel) that refresh rate of your monitor is not too high.

I personally think that yours is a software problem but still you will be better off checking your hardware before reformatting. What I suggested here is very preliminary and shouldn't take long.

Last note: I encountered several annoying cases in which perfectly legal copies of windows were rejected in authentication test and yours is probably one. Please note, however, that critical updates (and sp2 is considered as such), is free to download either by Windows Update or from Microsoft's domain. Just run Window's update 3-4 times (it takes several steps to download all updates) and you will have all your updates downloaded automatically.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AnnJS...

Please disregard y.a's suggestions. W'ell get this sorted out.

y.a...

I don't know if you've noticed, but we are a courteous bunch here at G2G and, as a rule, we don't interfere with another member's topic unless we are asked...and then the information is given through PM. If you read the whole everest log, you will notice that the voltages on this machine are nearly perfect and AnnJS is monitoring both voltages and temperature using a tool I asked her to download. I am not one who "Repairs by Format" and won't suggest formatting a drive until I am sure there is NO other option. This is the second or third time you've suggested a user I am helping do a format...the others were resolved without doing so. This one will be, too.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 October 2005 - 08:42 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Wannabe1,

I stand behind every word that I wrote in this thread and others.

Kind Regards

Ami Yogev

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please use the Private Messaging System if you wish to comment on the advice given in any post

Do not include your comments in any thread as they are not a contributing factor in dealing with the matter in hand

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Agree, Keith

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You y.a

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello AnnJS...

Please excuse us for the little squabble that took place in the previous posts...I apologize for any confusion it may have caused... :tazz:

Let's search for your mystery services...Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". In the left pane, expand "Services and Applications" and select "Services". See if either one of your mystery guests are listed in the right pane.

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Well what do ya know, "Splsipnia" is there! Not the other one though. This is what it's listed as:

Description: [blank]
Start method: Manually

It seems like I can change the start method to "inactivate", do you think I should try that?

BTW, oddly enough my computer hasn't frozen today. Granted I haven't had the time to be on it that much so far, but I've been here for the last three hours or so and it's been just fine. I'm sure it'll end up freezing any second now though (if nothing else only cause I just jinxed it!), but I still wanted to mention it.