Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...let's stop that service and see if the errors it's generating stop showing up.

Is your CPU temperature still running about 50C? If it doesn't get any higher than that, I wouldn't be overly concerned...it's a little warm, but not critically hot.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 October 2005 - 02:55 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you had any problems with your canon scanner not starting correctly or having to calibrate frequently?

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I'll try disabling that then, as soon as my computer has frozen. It still hasn't, oddly enough :tazz:

The CPU temp is still running around 50°C, and hasn't gone over that. So it's good to hear that I won't have to worry about that!

I haven't had any problems with my scanner at all. But I haven't used it in a long time though (so there's been no calibrating at all, that I know of atleast).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy, AnnJS...

That's very good news! Perhaps scrambling your registry a little is just what it needed...ya never know with Windows.

The reason I asked about the scanner is that sometime back, I started getting errors on my machine and at about the same time, I had to start turning the scanner off and back on everytime I went to use it. New twain drivers fixed it. (I've about got your everest log memorized :tazz: )

It may be a good idea to run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmentor at some point soon. Just to clean out the unnecessary files and get the rest of them arranged to run a little quicker so the machine won't have to work so hard when opening applications. Also...please set a system restore point so you have a more recent one to start with if you need to.

Keep me posted on how things are going....

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 October 2005 - 07:26 PM.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Guess what?! It still hasn't frozen! And since I've been on it now for a good 7-8 hours or so (without any problems whatsoever), I think this bodes very well :) It's a bit annoying though, because technically nothing has been changed... I mean, sure, we messed with the registry and stuff, but we did system restore after that so technically the computer is the same as before. Ah well, no matter as long as it keeps on working!

I'll run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmentor first thing tomorrow, it's literally been ages since I did the latter and I don't think I've ever done the first one (although I do use the program CleanUp, which I imagine is sorta the same).

And I made a system restore point a couple of hours back, so we're all set with that!

Seriously, it's such a relief to have it working properly again, I feel relaxed for the first time since this all started! Thank you so much for all your help, you're a real lifesaver :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AnnJS....

Actually, we made some pretty drastic changes when we rebuilt the registry hive. The registry was put back the way it was when the machine was new so any changes made by viri and malware were gone...when your registry (old one you saved) was merged, it didn't overwrite the good registry, it changed the values that were set within it so basically you have a fresh registry with good values. The restore simply restored settings and applications.

This is what I had hoped for, although I really didn't expect the way it appeared to wipe out your machine...but then again, that's why I had you make the backup registry in the first place...the copy on a floppy was in case you couldn't get to the one on your desktop. The bases were covered...

Anyway, I think you may be good to go...and without formatting the drive even. If you do have problems, don't hesitate to post back to this thread...I'll stay subscribed until it fades away. :tazz:

It's been fun AnnJS...you take care of yourself!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 October 2005 - 09:56 PM.