Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DdHelp Not Responding On Startup

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
OK, stupid question time on my part...why did you start hitting ctrl-alt-delete on startup? Were you have a specific problem?

Advertisements

Shooz13

Shooz13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i hit it when my computer froze up for no reason...i found out ddhelp was the one that wasent responding..after that, the only way to get into the system was to Ctrl-Alt-Del and shut the rundll32's down before everything screwed up

Shooz13

Shooz13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hmm..maybe its because I installed those drivers hideously wrong..

I had a virus scan up..and I didnt un-install the old ones

Shooz13

Shooz13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
well..heres an update..i reinstalled the drivers (I still dont think it worked right) and the first time i booted up, it caused everything on my system to cause an illegal operation and shut down..it hasent done that since thankfully..but ddhelp is still freezing up..and games still arent working

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Here's some information on ddhelp from answersthatwork.

Microsoft’s DirectDraw Helper – DirectDraw is a component of DirectX. DirectX is a Windows technology which enables higher performance in graphics and sound when you are playing games, watching videos, or using some graphics software packages. DirectX does this by providing software writers with a platform (a programming layer) which enables them to access all the advanced features of modern graphics and sound cards (3D rendering, 3D sound, audio effects, graphics acceleration) without having to write code specific to every single graphics or sound card out there – all the software manufacturer needs to do is specify, for example, that this game will only run on a 32Mb 3D graphics card. DirectDraw is a major component of the DirectX architecture and is effectively the "interpreter" between the software you are running and the display driver for your graphics card. Under Windows 95/98*admin DirectDraw is loaded into memory and managed by DDHELP. DDHELP runs as a transparent process – you can only see it through a program like The Ultimate Troubleshooter

Recommendation :
Essential – leave alone.

I wish I could help you right now, but I have a lot of stuff I need to take care of. I'll look into it later, or maybe you can find something out by reading this. Good luck.

Why don't you run Hijack This again, but scan the start-up log and post it.

Shooz13

Shooz13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i think this is one of those things that i have to take it into the shop to fix...i was gonna put a new motherboard processer and memory in it anyway....thank you so much for your time..sorry i wasted it

chaos_mage

chaos_mage

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have had the same problem too...except after a minute or so, it starts responding again. it happens any time i need to run anythign with ddhelp. it also started when i updated my drivers for my nvidia geforce 2 mx 400 card...

Shooz13

Shooz13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Somethings screwed up with those drivers.

Supposedly, you can just revert to the old ones and be alright

I tried that, but none of my games work now..real fun.