Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

huge computer problems!

• Please log in to reply

Throntel

Throntel

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My other computer doesn't work at all, everytime I shut it on it works around 1-10min. before shuting off.
I know it's not virus or anything like that becuase I formated the harddrive and also bought a new harddrive when it still didn't work...
It's not the temprature either, what can it be?

Edited by Throntel, 20 October 2005 - 02:16 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First things first, open the case and make sure that the fan that is cooling the CPU is running and stays running. Your problem sounds like a heat problem, this can be caused by a fan not running and dust building up on the cooling surface. You can remove the dust with a soft brush or "canned air", either way be careful. Also check out the fan on the power supply. Let us know if that helps.

Throntel

Throntel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well, I did have time to sheck the temprature on the BIOS and it wasn't high: About 50 degrees celsius at the CPU and about 30 around inside the computer.

Shouldn't the BIOS show if it was to high temperature?

And another question, is it possibule for a virus to transfere trough the memory? I don't know if I can use the word RAM on english :tazz:

Edited by Throntel, 20 October 2005 - 02:33 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no that's not likely, it may be a psu issue or a corrupted windoes install...

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.