Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Ghost 10 Error (Cannot Create Recovery Points)

• Please log in to reply

ralphie

ralphie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,

This is my first post :tazz:

On Tuesday, I installed Norton Ghost on my PC (Win XP Pro SP2) without any problem. I have a SATA HDD with two partitions (C and D, both are NTFS - 55 GB, and 70 GB). I tried creating a backup job from Norton but it will not work. Below is the specific error message I get. I have Google’d this problem, but no one else seems to have experienced this issue.

Some disclaimers: this is my first time using Ghost. I went to Symantec’s website to read their support site for some assistance – but nothing of interest was there, except for some mention about not being able to write to an NTFS drive (which I think I eliminated as a possible cause if this problem – read below).

Here is the error:

-Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of C:\.
--Errors exist.
---VSS object not found.
----Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_SNAP_VOLUME_EX) failed.
-----Error EBAB03F1: The requested resource is in use.

This may help in diagnosing the problem better: while Ghost is performing the backup job, it displays status reports. The last status report it displays before dying is “Analyzing the storage management stack”

Here is what I have tried to do to fix this issue:

1. Reinstalled Norton Ghost (three times)
2. Downloaded a new image of Norton Ghost from Symantec's site and reinstalled Ghost
3. Changed the destination folder from D to a local DVD+RW, a local CD RW, a network drive (NTFS), and finally another local hard-drive (that I mounted today just for this). This local hard-drive is a PATA Maxtor 40 GB (FAT32 – I wanted to eliminate the possibility that the problem had something to do with file system formats).

In all instances, I receive the exact same error. Sometimes it takes Norton 12 seconds to come back with this error message, sometimes it takes it 50 seconds, but invariably it fails.

As an alternative to creating a backup of my C drive, I decide I would just copy my C drive to the newly mounted E drive (as FAT32 and as NTFS) using Norton’s “Copy Hard Drive” feature. But that did not work either; I get the following error:

-Error EC8F17B3: Cannot complete copying of Namibia (C:\) drive.

I have submitted a tech-support request with Symantec, but from what I hear, I shouldn’t be optimistic about their supportiveness.

For those interested and willing to help, thank you in advance. Really any assistance at this time would be of great help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

ralphie

ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is in the wrong category - sorry. I've posted it in the Applications category now.

Thank you.

GreenTwig

GreenTwig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello hello...

I've had the same error with Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server... from Versions 3.01-3.03 and now I've got Version 6.0 still the same error as you have. On Windows 2003.

Though strangely I've found that when I uninstall and re-install it seems that it errors on any one of my clustered SAN drives... (I have 3 logical drives, ranging from 100-300GB each)

Personally I think it's got something to do with VSS as I had it running sweetly when I loaded a hotfix for VSS pre sp1. Then I upgraded to SP1 and all went fine again. Though Since I've added more drives to the cluster and gone through the painful process of uninstalling and re-installing I keep getting this random error... Symantec is pretty well given up on helping me... or they have stuck their head in the sand on it. I can't beleive I'm really pushing the envelope as far as max capabilities of this software...

Below is my error I get emailed when it fails...

Date: 11/1/2005 8:36:52 AM
Notification Type: Error
Priority: High
Description: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Backup of P:\. Error EC8F03EA: Cannot create a virtual volume image of the selected drive. Error E0BB011A: Cannot find symbolic link for device name \Device\SymantecSnapshot\Volume5.
Details: 0xE0BB011A

:tazz:

Matt M

Matt M

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ralphie, did you find an answer to your post? I am having the EXACT problem and am unable to find an answer. Symantec support is useless. Please advice...many thanks in advance.

pointless

pointless

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I receive the very same error code EC8F17B3 when using Norton Ghost 10 to copy disc to disc on Windows 2000. It occurs within 15 seconds of the copy start and I've tried two brand new hard drives so far and every possible combination of copy options. The drives are both properly recognized by both Windows and Norton Ghost.

Needless to say, there is absolutely nothing on Norton's website or in the manual about this particular error code.

Anyone else seen this or have a solution?

Ramius-II

Ramius-II

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All: :blink:
I hope this is of support to solving the Ghost problem and the EC8F17B3 message indicated the desination has been partitioned and should be un-partitioned.

Best, Ed :whistling:

Matt M

Matt M

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have still been looking for a solution to this....Symantec is NO HELP at all and I just can't find anything out there (in Google-land) to help troubleshoot this error. If I can't figure this out in a few days, I'm just going to have to uninstall. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!!

samuka

samuka

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Run a chkdsk. Go to the properties of the drive and select tool and then error checking. select both options. If it is a C: drive you will need a reboot

cheers

madIndian

madIndian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I encountered this same issue (EC8F17B3) while attempting to Copy Hard Drives. My estination HD was partitioned but i did not have a drive letter assigned. I tried a few differend things without any luch. But once i assigned a drive letter to the destination partition it worked. I hope this helps.

11bravo

11bravo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Half a loaf better than none

-Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of N:\.
--Errors exist.
---VSS object not found.
----Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_SNAP_VOLUME_EX) failed.
-----Error EBAB03F1: The requested resource is in use.

Norton Ghost 10 originally worked when installed on HP Notebook 8230, running Win XP, SP2, ghosting internal hard disk NTFS partition to external USB hard drive NTFS partition. Then after a month, did not.

Trying to ghost to another NTFS partition on the internal hard disk did not work either.

After the usual rounds of uninstalls/installs of NG10, EVENTUALLY found that BlackIce Proventia Desktop Protection Version 8.0.675.1720 firewall was causing the problem (this firewall has "application protection"). [Originally, was using WinXP SP2's built-in firewall; Black Ice is company approved]. Selected "Stop All Proventia Desktop Protection" AFTER disconnecting usb adsl modem, and ghosting worked again (almost). Images were created successfully.

To verify, copied 200M from flash drive to an unused partition (on external usb hard drive), ghosted that partition to another partition on same usb hard drive, deleted all data from partition, then recovered from ghost image. Used cdcheck to verify data; all OK, so have some confidence NG10 is working.

What is NOW mystifying is that while events do get written to the ghost log file (C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\Norton Ghost.log.txt), STATUS->VIEW EVENT LOG pop-up window is blank - no events to display. But I can see the events with a simple text editor.

Oh well... Shame; previous versions of Black Ice, when it was Black Ice, not Proventia, never had any problems with Ghost 9.0. Anyway, if you are running any kind of firewall, other than the built-in Windows XP SP2 firewall, you might try and turn it off (after isolating yourself from internet). Likewise, any other "system tray" programs you aren't using. Bit of a hassle, but... a GOOD image can be LIFESAVER!

[Note: did run chkdsk on ALL partitions; did not help, but wouldn't hurt, either]

Edited by 11bravo, 23 April 2006 - 06:32 AM.

Advertisements

11bravo

11bravo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Perhaps too quick to blame BlackIce. In trying to chase down my "can't see NG10 event log" in event viewer, realized I was logged in as not THE administrator, but as a member of the administrator group. Silly me, I would think I had group privileges for adminstrator.
Logged back in as administrator; THIS time, with BlackIce Proventia Desktop Protection running, I was able to create an image (recovery point). That was another variable I had not remembered from "it ran" / "it doesn't run": before, I was administrator when it worked; THEN I created the other user name.

Still nothing in the event log viewer.

So, perhaps something else to check: make sure you are the administrator.

The Rev

The Rev

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Had a little luck. Run msconfig and stop all loading prg.'s. If original disk still boots-format new drive w/appropiate file system and assign a drive letter. Please note that Norton a/v will reactivate itself during the copy process. Good luck. :whistling:

The Rev

The Rev

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Xp Pro Sp2. Reboot after format and drive assignment.

Boughto

Boughto

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I encountered this same issue (EC8F17B3) while attempting to Copy Hard Drives. My estination HD was partitioned but i did not have a drive letter assigned. I tried a few differend things without any luch. But once i assigned a drive letter to the destination partition it worked. I hope this helps.

Ramius-II & madIndian was spot on for me :blink:

This error seems to be caused if you are copying to a partitioned drive without a drive letter already assigned! :help:

I went the other route and deleted the partition - worked fine!! :) :whistling:

(Although didn't copy MBR, even though I ticked it???)

Oh yeah, pls do turn of antivirus + firewall and everything else you can - it's not worth taking a chance!
I use a program called EndItAll 2 to close all my background apps when playing games - a couple more clicks and everything else is gone - great for backups! Not sure if it's still free - or try CloseMany

Edited by Boughto, 02 July 2006 - 12:25 AM.

Latinlover1

Latinlover1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey fellas,

This error code (EC8F17B3) was also driving me up a wall for a couple of days. I was trying to use the Copy a Drive feature to build a new boot drive because my old drive was beginning to show wear and tear. The only thing the manual said was run CHKDSK 4-6 times. How useless was that?...unreal. Anyway, after a few days of busting my brain trying to figure it out on my own, I finally relented and went to their online chat support (free). After explaining the situation he asked me if I minded sitting idle for 4 - 5 minutes while he researched the it. He came back and told me that error code EC8F17B3 was the same as EC8F17B7 and that there was an entire procedural document on it and did I want to see it...DUH!

He gave me the following URL: http://Service1.syma...005111019380362

After printing the document and following it's suggestions, it worked like a charm! It still found a few bad sectors during that copy so I decided to run chkdsk a few more times and finally came up with an absolutely clean copy.

Here's what I eventually did (step by agonizing step):

Start > Run > cmd
cd.. back to the root directory of C:/
chkdsk c: /f
Windows will tell you it cannot lock the drive because it is in use and if it's ok to run it at next boot...answer Y
exit
Restart

Do this as many times as necessary until you get a clean chkdsk result.

If trying to copy to a USB HD, unplug any/all unnecessary USB devices (not the mouse and/or keyboard obviously) with the exception of the target drive.
Partition/Format the target drive and make sure it is assigned a drive letter.
Copy away!

Good luck, hope this helps, and forgive my long-windedness.
LL1